Sign in to follow this  

When to start searching for a bike

Hello, 

I am new to the forum and new to dirt bike. Spent the last few weeks determining what I to do as far which bike to ride. I never road bike before. So far, I decided I want  a used dual sport (or plated dirtbike would be better if someone is selling one) in the 250cc to 400cc range. 90% offroad and 10% street. Budget about $2500.

My questions are:

1. Should I take the MSF beginner course first before searching for a used bike? I am thinking YES because if I find one I want, I want know how to test drive it once I get to the seller location.

2. Or should I start looking for used bike and take the MSF course?

Thanks for any help. I plan to use the forum to help me pick a bike from craiglist once I get to that stage,

Thank

Start looking now, rarely have I found a good deal the same day or weekend. I always have to keep an eye out for a while for the used bike deals I go for. While looking for a bike, you can get the class taken care of. Never hurts to look.

Start looking now, rarely have I found a good deal the same day or weekend. I always have to keep an eye out for a while for the used bike deals I go for. While looking for a bike, you can get the class taken care of. Never hurts to look.

Thank you davidhar,

Yes, I better start looking now before I lose a good deal. 

Will a seller let me test drive the bike?

I know some sellers will let you take it for a test ride.  I know this because last saturday I bought my daughter a crf150 and I had never ridden a dirtbike with a clutch before, and they let me test ride.   I would imagine there would be other sellers that would rather test drive it for you to watch.  By the way it was easy to ride, but if you can get some practice on a friends bike that would be even better.  What ever you do don't tell them you know how to ride, it will be obvious you don't, and if you crash it, im sure you just bought it.  Good luck in your search.