Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ250 clutch will not disengage

Neutral is normal.  However, when placed in gear, the clutch will not disengage. 

Pulled the cover off and mic'd the plates and springs----they are well within spec. 

I did change the clutch lever/mount from ASV back to stock, and have adjusted (at cable and at lever) till I was blue in the face.  No resolve.

Help please. 

How does the clutch basket look? Is it notched where the friction disks contact the basket fingers?

Basket and hub are marked, but not notched.  I can't even catch a fingernail on it-----it's smooth. 

By the way, for anyone that points it out, I know someone posted almost the same topic recently.  But he didn't post back about any resolution.

Thanks for responding so fast YZerman.

Tried checking the shaft that runs through the motor, from the cable to the actual clutch?

How do I pull it, and what am I looking for?  Burring, etc?

Basket and hub are marked, but not notched. I can't even catch a fingernail on it-----it's smooth.

By the way, for anyone that points it out, I know someone posted almost the same topic recently. But he didn't post back about any resolution.

Thanks for responding so fast YZerman.

because I never quite figured it out and I tried what people said to no avail

take flywheel cover off, disconnect the cable, remove the allen bolt on the outside of the case, take the connecting shaft out and inspect it.

if it was working before you swapped levers & pulled the clutch cover then my guess is improper reassembly of the parts behind the clutch cover.  Were there any extra parts leftover when you put the clutch cover back on?  

If the clutch nut is overtorqued, you won't be able to disengage the clutch by pulling in the lever.

At the lever?

the clutch nut is behind the clutch cover, not on the handlebars

Edited by chevyrulz