Sign in to follow this  

Another nice weekend come and gone

How many of you guys are laid up on the mend?  If anyone has followed my latest rants, well for me it's cancer and recent surgery to remove all the tumors well not so much the tumors but the entire section of my colon that had them.  It's like, instead of putting a bandage on the finger, you simply cut it off.  A different type of pain, but at least in peace of mind that I'm on the mend.  I'd take a picture of my almost 30 stiches, but it's so gross right now (puss coming out), I wouldn't want gross you guys out.  But every so often people post pictures of their injuries where as we sit back and oooh ahhh while we look at them.  I'm in Southern CA and this weekend was really perfect nice.  Not too hot, not to cold, and if it wasn't for this BS I'm going through, I would certainly be out there roostin everything in site.  Can't wait to press my ass on a seat and open it up.  Here's what will likely happen to me when I finally mend and hop on the saddle.  I'll probably ride the Devil or the CR500, and for spite of not having ridden for a while, I'll open it up and likely fall on my ass.  But I enjoy it just the same,  A little scrape here, and little sand rash there, it's all in the love of riding. :devil:

I can physically ride but no places are open for another few weeks. Up here in Mass we have had some seriously screwed up weather. In the morning its snowing by noon its 75 then by the evening its snowing again. One trail system won't open until its dried out and the rest are closed until May. I'm not in your state of pain and I hope all goes well! I can't wait to hope back on the bike. Its been over half a year for me. I'm glad to hear your getting better and ready to ride again! RING DINGDINGDING!!!

I was laid up all last summer due to a riding knee injury and surgery.  So much pain. Got back on the bike a couple months after surgery for an easy ride on dirt roads.  Couldn't stand being laid up. 

I'm back at it, wearing knee braces now when I ride.  Went out today for 4 hours.  Couldn't have been much better.  It rained some last night but didn't today like they said it would.  Perfect weather, perfect dirt, a little tacky with no dust.  Passed 5 bikes on the trail and stopped to talk to 2.  Went to some places I'd never been, stopped by snow up high.  

Good to hear you are at least DREAMING about getting out and riding :thumbsup: . Hang in there and it will bee soon enough that you can fire her up and rip. :ride:

Joe

• Like 1

Just got my wisdom teeth out (I know nothing major) and it sucks. Went riding the day after surgery but it just felt weird, being on vicodins and all... hoping to be out again soon too.

Sorry to hear that, Devil. I went out and had fun today with the wife and kid. Rode my little XR200....had a blast. I'm going riding again this Friday....I'll do it in your honor. Gell well soon! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Good to hear you are at least DREAMING about getting out and riding :thumbsup: . Hang in there and it will bee soon enough that you can fire her up and rip. :ride:

Joe

Hey Joe, how have you been?  Man let me tell you, I'm so hard up to go riding, I'm now playing Motocross Madness, MotoRacer 3, and MX Sim on my computer a little too much.  After awhile, I get on you tube and watch dirt bike videos.  One of my favorite type of videos to watch are those called "Composition Fail" where dude fall off their rigs.  I just crack up.  I don't like laughing at others when they get hurt, but when you see them just get bucked and go through the air by way of a flying W, you just can't help but laugh.  Man, I'm so hungry to hop on my rigs, just the other day I decided to go to the garage and sit on my CR500 and do a little day dreaming.  Tell you what my dear fellow, I may look you up.  I feel like riding my bike all the way up to Seattle  :lol: You cool?  Haven't seen many posts from you lately, so assumed you've been busy with work and the little time you have riding.  Keep it Roostin  :):devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

Just got my wisdom teeth out (I know nothing major) and it sucks. Went riding the day after surgery but it just felt weird, being on vicodins and all... hoping to be out again soon too.

I hate Vicodin.  I've been on it for weeks and try to stay away from it as it hinders your recovery.  But when the pain is just throbbing, you can't resist.  I agree, it's no fun riding when you're in pain.  Believe me, been there done that, and wasn't memorable at all, but at least it passed the time.  Last time I went riding was early Feb.  It was colder than shit out in the desert, that on my 3rd day I called it quits.  I was going to stay another day because my provisions including gas was holding out, but the freaking cold was just too much for me to bare.  This time (go figure I'm now geared for it, but summer is almost here and won't need it) I've got a Coleman 800 whisper quite genset, and a floor heater as well as a fan.  I may not need the heater, but the fan will come in handy when it hits the upper 90's to 100 out there.  I just can't wait to finally mend and finally most of all, wake up one day without any pain anywhere. I've to seek yet another doctor (urology) next week to have me checked out for epididymitis.  My surgeon said it's normal for my balls to hurt after a major operations, but only for a couple of weeks.  It's been 4 weeks now since my surgery, and my balls are killing me.  I know guys, it's not really something you want to hear (like that's a little too much info there Devil), but damn, what next?  I've got mend and get active and get the circulation going, and not that I'm lazy, but working out is not my mildew.  I'd rather work out riding my bikes. oh, and before I forget, make sure to drink a lot of water if you're going to hit the Vicodin bottle.  That stuff has a nasty side effect of drying out your crap, then having to sit on the toilet for quite a while is not my idea of having a good time. Drink plenty of water dude, that's something I've learned the hard way when on prescription drugs. :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

Vicodin sucks.  Too many side effects.  Dry crap etc.  There's better solutions.

attachicon.gifplant.jpg

Ok, send me a batch and I'll give it a try.  Just about every freaking medication I've been on has had some adverse affect or another.  From food tasting like shit, to no bowel movements to cold sweats to fever, oh hell, even putting my ass to sleep for 12 hours a day. I'm not seeing pictures here fellows, no one hurt and on the mend?  Believe me, I'd take a picture of the almost 30 stiches running up and down my gut, but it's so gross, the thread would probably get locked.  If no one, well.......that's good, at least we're not getting busted up like we normally do.  You know I've been pretty fortunate in my 30 some what years of riding.  Never broke anything except my hand recently last year that needed two surgeries, and it's always made me wonder if falling or getting bucked off your ride is actually an art. here's a great link if anyone is interested. :devil:

http://www.cwu.edu/~jefferis/unitplans/mountainbiking/falling.html

"... not that I'm lazy, but working out is not my mildew."  :devil:

Mine either :lol: . I have been out riding for the last 5 weekends straight and lost 6 pounds of winter beer blubber getting stronger and feeling great.

Then, last Sunday on the last rip of the day I grabbed too much front brake in a slick spot and did a 3rd gear face auger. Felt my chest go 'POP' on impact and crawled my ass to the ER. Grade II seperation of the sternum. That's the cartilage that binds the ribs to the breastbone. Torn and messed up but mostly still attached. It feels like I have a hook attached and it's being pulled on by an invisible cable. Not too fun. At least it only hurts when I breathe...

No pics unless you want to see an unmarked, badly sore, hairy dude's chest.

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 1

Mine either :lol: . I have been out riding for the last 5 weekends straight and lost 6 pounds of winter beer blubber getting stronger and feeling great.

Then, last Sunday on the last rip of the day I grabbed too much front brake in a slick spot and did a 3rd gear face auger. Felt my chest go 'POP' on impact and crawled my ass to the ER. Grade II seperation of the sternum. That's the cartilage that binds the ribs to the breastbone. Torn and messed up but mostly still attached. It feels like I have a hook attached and it's being pulled on by an invisible cable. Not too fun. At least it only hurts when I breathe...

No pics unless you want to see an unmarked, badly sore, hairy dude's chest.

Don't you just hate it when that happens.  I mean, I myself (when I go riding) do minimum 2 days, but always at least 3 days.  Everything is, hmm, what's the word I'm looking for........ oh yeah "groovy" and I get some really great rides, but on that last end of the day ride before packing up, I just have to have one final ride and like clockwork, I get bucked and end up hurting myself.  It's like I should say to myself, you're ahead of the game, you've been riding for three days and got a lot of hours in. Why oh why did I go back to that jump I was reluctant to take when I first got here.  Oh yeah, that's right, because I got too over confident. Get better bro.  How long is your mend going to take?  Me, I'm guessing about 2 maybe 3 weeks max, but even then, I'm going to be a little skeptical to get back on the saddle in fear I'll screw something up inside and go right back to where I was.  My last ride was back in early Feb, and I'm so hard up to ride, I find myself going into my garage just to sit on my bikes and close my eyes.  I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen.  I'm going to get out there, and out of spite for not riding for so long, open up the throttle on the Devil or CR500, and end up eating dirt.  I'm want to roost so bad right now, it hurts. :devil:  PS: I "had" a hairy chest before the surgery, but they had to shave me like a baby's ass, cause now I feel naked and the hairs are coming out like barb wire.  GEez!

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

Don't you just hate it when that happens.  I mean, I myself (when I go riding) do minimum 2 days, but always at least 3 days.  Everything is, hmm, what's the word I'm looking for........ oh yeah "groovy" and I get some really great rides, but on that last end of the day ride before packing up, I just have to have one final ride and like clockwork, I get bucked and end up hurting myself.  It's like I should say to myself, you're ahead of the game, you've been riding for three days and got a lot of hours in. Why oh why did I go back to that jump I was reluctant to take when I first got here.  Oh yeah, that's right, because I got too over confident. Get better bro.  How long is your mend going to take?  Me, I'm guessing about 2 maybe 3 weeks max, but even then, I'm going to be a little skeptical to get back on the saddle in fear I'll screw something up inside and go right back to where I was.  My last ride was back in early Feb, and I'm so hard up to ride, I find myself going into my garage just to sit on my bikes and close my eyes.  I'm pretty sure I know what's going to happen.  I'm going to get out there, and out of spite for not riding for so long, open up the throttle on the Devil or CR500, and end up eating dirt.  I'm want to roost so bad right now, it hurts. :devil:  PS: I "had" a hairy chest before the surgery, but they had to shave me like a baby's ass, cause now I feel naked and the hairs are coming out like barb wire.  GEez!

I haven't been really hurt at all for about 5 years so I can't complain too much. There for a long time in my teens and 20s I was breaking something every year. 

3-5  weeks is what I was told but I think next weekend is gonna see me doing some easy trials type stuff. It's better to keep the legs and brain in shape than the chest anyway at least for woods riding that is...

I couldn't ride for three years following spinal reconstruction in '98 thanks to a stupid cage driver. I had the wheelchair, learning to walk again and all that B.S. So I definitely feel your pain. This thing I have is like a pimple in comparison.

I haven't been really hurt at all for about 5 years so I can't complain too much. There for a long time in my teens and 20s I was breaking something every year. 

3-5  weeks is what I was told but I think next weekend is gonna see me doing some easy trials type stuff. It's better to keep the legs and brain in shape than the chest anyway at least for woods riding that is...

I couldn't ride for three years following spinal reconstruction in '98 thanks to a stupid cage driver. I had the wheelchair, learning to walk again and all that B.S. So I definitely feel your pain. This thing I have is like a pimple in comparison.

Gotcha.  Wow, three years, spinal reconstructions?  Man that sounds really rough.  I've been really fortunate considering the idiot I am when it's come to riding not to get hurt that bad.  All I can say, that's got to be one of the most severe things I've heard.....ever....  Having to learn to walk again, yikes.  I'm already starting to feel much better in comparison. :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 1

Yep, parapalgic isn't fun, temporary or not! The little candy-stripers in the hospital got real sympathetic though... :thumbsup:

You are on the home stretch now and it's spring. I bet your first ride in a couple of weeks is gonna be like coming home. I also bet you can't help taking it easy on the throttle. It's one of those things, the more fragile your body is the more you protect it by keeping your pace down and saving those triples for the kids. it's just as much fun riding like an old man though, the bike control and the balance stay with you forever.

Sorry to hear about our troubles, but glad you’re on the mend. Unfortunately I too am approaching that age when more things go wrong with our bodies than go right. I’m a financial guy, insurance, investment…. And what folks need to know is that all to often when we begin to think about our mortality, it’s too late to get insurance even though most of us haven’t built the kind of wealth that our family’s need to carry on without us. If your able to and don’t have life insurance GET IT! because more often than not when we get that diagnosis… it’s too late. The insurance companies won’t touch you with a 10’ pole! When you’re young it’s dirt cheap. If you’re in Oregon and want help I’d be glad to but it doesn’t matter who you get it from… just get it.

On the up side, I did get out to do some riding on the KX with my son who was on the CR80. He’s only 11 but I’m already having to work to keep up with him.

Sorry to hear about our troubles, but glad you’re on the mend. Unfortunately I too am approaching that age when more things go wrong with our bodies than go right. I’m a financial guy, insurance, investment…. And what folks need to know is that all to often when we begin to think about our mortality, it’s too late to get insurance even though most of us haven’t built the kind of wealth that our family’s need to carry on without us. If your able to and don’t have life insurance GET IT! because more often than not when we get that diagnosis… it’s too late. The insurance companies won’t touch you with a 10’ pole! When you’re young it’s dirt cheap. If you’re in Oregon and want help I’d be glad to but it doesn’t matter who you get it from… just get it.

On the up side, I did get out to do some riding on the KX with my son who was on the CR80. He’s only 11 but I’m already having to work to keep up with him.

I hear ya but I'm cool. Some investments and properties, single and no kids. My folks or siblings are getting it if I check out and they all have dough of their own.

I tell my buddies with dependants the same thing though. Get coverage! One of the guys at work is terminal with the big C and he's got nothing. Too late for his family now.

One of the guys at work is terminal with the big C and he's got nothing. Too late for his family now.

That’s rough.  I’m helping a widow put a plan together. Her husband passed and had $300k but she’s only 57 and has always been a stay at home mom. Just in case anyone is wondering $300K is a pretty small amount of money, not enough for her to live off of the interest. She’s going to have to go find work without a lot of skills.