Sign in to follow this  

Broken kick starter

Ever seen this happen? Yea, its hard to start when its hot, especially when I stalled it. This is the first four stroke I've owned since an old xr200.

I checked the valves, they're in spec. Read up on the hot start lever, I wasn't using it correctly. And I cleaned pilot jet. Hopefully this helps. I'll find out when I get the new part in. Any pointers? 05 CRF450, very low hours.

1398045342318.jpg

1398045431761.jpg

This is what the plug looked like. Looks a touch lean to me. But I'm not sure on a 4t, are they supposed to be cocoa brown like a 2t?

1398046296153.jpg

It looks a little lighter in the pic than in person, flash messed it up. There was no white, just light tan/brown

Do you have a service manual? The decomp clearance needs to be checked. If say after five kicks after you stall it it does not start then pull the hot start in, hold the kill switch down and kick it two or three times easy. Push hot start back and then she should crank right up. The jetting, a new pilot is a good idea(45) and probably a 170 or 175 for your main, the bigger is you have a after market pipe. Btw bike looks clean man! I been putting off black rims until I crack mine but that makes me wanna jump the gun. Good job

OK thanks. It has a 42 pilot and I think it was a 175 main, my memories horrible. One ride in the woods on the bike and the lettering on the rear wheel wore off. This bike is almost too pretty to race in the woods, I spent forever cleaning it today after one ride lol.

1398051574518.jpg

I'll check out the decompression, I don't have a manual yet just bought the bike Friday. Been trying to find a free download

Not that hard to kick for a 450 anyway. Just hard starting when hot, especially if stalled. If it sets there a few minutes, it will fire back up

It might want the fuel screw turned in a quarter of a turn. When they're too rich, they dont like to start when warm. No amount of effort kicking the living shit out of it will fix it either.

Your jetting looks good to me, so does the plug. Its a fuel screw thing.

OK I'll play with the fuel screw a little and try to get the technique figured out. Plan on racing the GNCC this weekend on it if I feel like I can get it to start on the line lol