Sign in to follow this  

1984 Yamaha xt600

Hey I'm getting into riding. I'm looking at a 1984 or 85 Yamaha xt600. I just wanted to know what kind of problems this bike may run into or just things to know about this bike. Is it reliable.....how does it ride....?

I don't know just yet i will still have to take a look at it. All I know is that it is all the parts are there just the carb. needs to be put back on, which shouldn't be too hard. 

I ran an older xt500 for awhile.  What a tractor.  Tons of low end grunt.  The guy I got it from once towed a vw beetle with it. 

Anyway, I didn't have any issues with it, other than my own dumbness.  The thing was a challenge to start, being a old big thumper, but I was young and inspired, so it wasn't an issue.  Lots of other people were running them too, so would think it a decent risk.  I would be concerned about someone flogging the crap out of it.  If it looks like it's been ridden hard, you may be up for replaceing internal motor parts: rings, valves, bearings, etc.  that would negate any cheapness.  Compression check will tell you some of that ( valves and rings, some what ).

i've had two xt600's .  and 85 and an 86.

they are very reliable bikes.

the carbs can be tricky to fit back in.  so take you time with that.  and have the seat and tank off when you do it.

one thing that can go out with them is the automatic decompresion cable.  they break.  all of a sudden the bike will be soo hard to kick over.  that is the main sign it has broken.  easy cheap fix.  make sure you adjust it correct when you put a new one on.

also these bikes for some reason have the most restrictive airbox i have ever seen.  if you want more power, take the seat off and cut-out the top of the airbox.  don't go crazy but remove the snorkle and cut that hole out larger. 

Edited by hawaii500_1999

Big tractors! reliable beasts, but the carbs are their downfall. Working perfectly they are nice, but add a jetting kit can be challenge. I've even added aftermarket carb to one, but I should have just kept working on the OEM carb..... They were not your normal carb at all!

They have a high "center of gravity" lots of weight up top, it would help if you are tall and strong if youre going to do serious single track with them.

Big tractors! reliable beasts, but the carbs are their downfall. Working perfectly they are nice, but add a jetting kit can be challenge. I've even added aftermarket carb to one, but I should have just kept working on the OEM carb..... They were not your normal carb at all!

They have a high "center of gravity" lots of weight up top, it would help if you are tall and strong if youre going to do serious single track with them.

interesting.  what year XT600 did you have?

both of mine had a very low center of gravity, lower then say and XR600, which gave it very good steeet manors. 

and the carbs worked great.  left carb was the main carb, and the right carb is a CV carb that acts as a secondary.  i never even re-jetted and my bikes ran great. 

i always felt that the suspension was the bikes achilles heel.  as soon as i tried to ride single track fast the bike's forks and shock couldn't handle the speed.  it would case on whoops and bottom out on even the smallest of jumps.

XT 600 had a common issue with the shift pawl spring, and wearing the splines off of the output shaft at the front sprocket due to their torque

Hey I'm getting into riding. I'm looking at a 1984 or 85 Yamaha xt600. I just wanted to know what kind of problems this bike may run into or just things to know about this bike. Is it reliable.....how does it ride....?

HI, The XT 600 is good.  Reliable Yes. Just the forks  and rear shock need to be upgraded.  Lots of aftermarket parts.

How many miles. ??? Rides Good.  Post a photo? ED

How many miles on it ?

Has it had a Rebuild ?

i got it running and it has 9980 kilometers on it (i live in Canada) and it has not had a rebuild it just geared down alot. 

dog, I have a friend who is a professional wheelie rider, he always rides an xt600 because it will still pump fuel in the wheelie position whereas others will run out of fuel, he claims its the only one that does this, although I have not talked to him since all the efi models have come out. I have seen him ride a wheelie 15 miles following in a truck, I'm sure this will help...Roost

I like my '83 TT600 but prefer my '83 XL600

The TT is taller the XL and I'm only 5'9" so even just kicking it over the Honda is easier for me.

The Yamaha's big downside is the weird carb set up.

If it's not set up just perfect they are a PITA to start and then have a bog mid throttle.

I find the TT has more bottom end and the XL has more top end.

The TT is easier to handle in slow, tight trails were as the XL just wants to fly but the height of the TT with my short legs makes it harder to go over obstacles like rocks and logs.

They will both wheelie forever and they are definitely both a blast to ride.

My TT has stock gearing and the XL was geared down from a 43 tooth to a 47tooth rear sprocket (and I should have dropped the front to a 13 when I replaced it).

The XT you were looking at, was it on the side of the hwy just a little ways west of Dryden?

If so, I think it looked to be in pretty good shape and worth his asking price.

I would have picked it up if it hadn't been so far away from me.