Sign in to follow this  

1984 Yamaha xt600

Hey I'm getting into riding. I'm looking at a 1984 or 85 Yamaha xt600. I just wanted to know what kind of problems this bike may run into or just things to know about this bike. Is it reliable.....how does it ride....?

They have a habit of stripping the splines off of the output shaft at the front. Have a real good in this area. If you can, slide the sprocket off the shaft to see the condition of the shaft. They also have a problem with the shifter not working properly but that one is an easy fix. Just the return spring on the shift pawl

Wow, that bike is a beast! Unless you are also why not choose something easy like a DR/XR 200? Even if you are big/heavy a 350 or even and XR250 would be a better starter bike.

Have you checked parts availablity for the XT?

good luck

Sweet, thanks for letting me know more about this bike. I have been riding for a while just for fun out in the country on a 1977 honda XL175 and wanted something bigger and something I wont need to upgrade in the future. And I also wanted something reliable and easy to maintain like my Honda, and love the look of the duel sports.