Sign in to follow this  

2012 KX250F Ran Low on Oil

Like the title says, I ran my 250F low on oil this weekend.  I just bought the bike and this happened on the first ride.  The oil filter cover o ring was pinched and leaked oil.  I changed the oil and estimate that 1/3 - 1/2 quart drained out.  After the oil change, I rode the bike down the driveway and the power seems good, but can't be certain since the bike is so new to me.  One change that I did notice is that it seems to be harder to start now.  It used to start on the second kick, no choke before and now it requires the choke and takes 4-5 kicks to get going.  The also doesn't seem to idle as well when it is cold.  It idles fine when it is warm. I didn't notice any excessive engine noise when it was idling or when I rode it.  Is it all in my head or should I tear the engine down?  I plan on checking the valve tolerances, what other checks would you guys recommend?  I'm just getting back into bikes after quite a few years off and am pretty unfamiliar with 4 stroke engines.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Like the title says, I ran my 250F low on oil this weekend. I just bought the bike and this happened on the first ride. The oil filter cover o ring was pinched and leaked oil. I changed the oil and estimate that 1/3 - 1/2 quart drained out. After the oil change, I rode the bike down the driveway and the power seems good, but can't be certain since the bike is so new to me. One change that I did notice is that it seems to be harder to start now. It used to start on the second kick, no choke before and now it requires the choke and takes 4-5 kicks to get going. The also doesn't seem to idle as well when it is cold. It idles fine when it is warm. I didn't notice any excessive engine noise when it was idling or when I rode it. Is it all in my head or should I tear the engine down? I plan on checking the valve tolerances, what other checks would you guys recommend? I'm just getting back into bikes after quite a few years off and am pretty unfamiliar with 4 stroke engines. Thanks for any suggestions.

open the valve cover and check for wear and also pull the clutch cover and checks your fibers and steels.

+1 on checking the valves. If the gap opens up, then maybe the valves got bent a bit.

No such thing as a little bent. Its either bent or its not.

Valves don't bend from lack of oil. They bend from contact with the piston.

No such thing as a little bent. Its either bent or its not.

Valves don't bend from lack of oil. They bend from contact with the piston.

What would cause the valve to come in contact with the piston?

What would cause the valve to come in contact with the piston?

Valve bounce or timing jumps then the valve can hit the piston.

You can take off the valve cover and remove the cams to see if any wear on the caps or head from lack of oil.

Im sure the bike is still ok though.