Sign in to follow this  

Dirt possibly entered engine? - Picture Inside

If it was my own bike ( clean freak ) id just pull the airbox and boot and clean them as best as you possibly can with some degreaser . Check the carb for any laying in the venturi and definately change the oil and filter . Possibly swap air filters if that one was seated correctly and passing that much. I've seen some air filter test here on TT that shown to me that the moose brand was the best but that's another debate .  

If it was my own bike ( clean freak ) id just pull the airbox and boot and clean them as best as you possibly can with some degreaser . Check the carb for any laying in the venturi and definately change the oil and filter . Possibly swap air filters if that one was seated correctly and passing that much. I've seen some air filter test here on TT that shown to me that the moose brand was the best but that's another debate .

I will pull the boot and box, as well as oil and filter. Cheap preventative maintenance for me. It was a UNI and I felt like the fit wasn't great.... I am not happy, so you talk about the Moose. I will for sure take a look at those. What about Twin Air?

yup, no good for the foam filters. Clean your intake tract, carb, etc.  Re-oil with something like Belray, Maxima, etc.  Pick your poison....I'm a Belray addict

btw, what kind of bike?  Is it a smoker or a thumper?

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1

Yamaha YZ250F, and thanks guys I had no idea!!

not tryin to scare ya, but ya need to pay attention to your bike over the next few rides.  Once dirt goes past your filter, it 'polishes' a coating off the valves of your bike. Once this happens, the valve faces start to degrade quickly.  Ya might check your valves after your next ride. If your bike becomes hard to start when cold, check your valves.  If they tightened up, it's time to get them fixed.

I ran an UNI filter and some off brand filter oil in my 05 cr250 just to use it up. No good , i ended up just throwing it all away and ordered 2 new moose filters ( my 250 and sons cr125 ) and the belray oil. clean as a whistle . Good advice guys . Make sure your seals not torn on the air box also.  :thumbsup:

not tryin to scare ya, but ya need to pay attention to your bike over the next few rides. Once dirt goes past your filter, it 'polishes' a coating off the valves of your bike. Once this happens, the valve faces start to degrade quickly. Ya might check your valves after your next ride. If your bike becomes hard to start when cold, check your valves. If they tightened up, it's time to get them fixed.

I will make sure I pay attention, I hope this doesn't happen! But thanks for the help! I will make sure to buy new filters and oil right away.

here is what i would *highly* recommend.

1) pull the entire airbox and airboot and clean it out (the dirt/goo on the rear fender is no biggie) and wash the heck out of it.

2) pull the lid off the carb and clean it

3) inspect the slide and carb throat for any dirt and intake in the head if you can reach with a q-tip

4) change the oil

5) in a ride or two check the intake valve lash.

if at zero, time to get new valves and the serdi machine warmed up

6) lesson learned...these suck sometimes.  sorry!

I ran an UNI filter and some off brand filter oil in my 05 cr250 just to use it up. No good , i ended up just throwing it all away and ordered 2 new moose filters ( my 250 and sons cr125 ) and the belray oil. clean as a whistle . Good advice guys . Make sure your seals not torn on the air box also.  :thumbsup:

I've ran Uni air filters on every bike we've had, and we've had a lot of bikes through the years .Theres  nothing wrong with Uni fliters and nothing wrong with the way they fit on the YZ's .We're currently running one on our YZ250f,YZ250 2-stroke,and YZ 125.As mentioned it was most likely the filter oil. Id trust the Uni just as much as a Moose if not more!

Edge

• Like 2

I've ran Uni air filters on every bike we've had, and we've had a lot of bikes through the years .Theres  nothing wrong with Uni fliters and nothing wrong with the way they fit on the YZ's .We're currently running one on our YZ250f,YZ250 2-stroke,and YZ 125.As mentioned it was most likely the filter oil. Id trust the Uni just as much as a Moose if not more!

Edge

I don't necessarily think the UNI is a bad filter but the test i seen on here show the moose just as good or better results under several different conditions . Besides seeing that i can buy 2 filters of the moose brand for mine and my sons bike for the price of one UNI . I'm waiting for the next dry dusty day to actually check it out. If i have bad results i would probably swap back or try a different brand. After just 30 hrs. on my sons 03 cr125 he had piston streaks from dirt on a brand new oem cylinder . I got to keep searching for a dirt free solution . Whatever it may be. 

consider rim grease.

I have the no toil filter kit stuff. i have rim grease but never use it and have never had that problem. Just saying it exists if you keep having that problem. Could the filter as stated above.

rim grease is a bandaid at best for a poor seal.

i have not used rim grease in ...man its been so long i forgot when i stopped using it...5-6 years ago

the oil in the filter that stops the dirt should also be in the rim of the filter that would also stop the dirt.

poor oiling wont stop the dirt....no matter where on the filter it is missing.

• Like 1

So it seems as though the filter oil may be the culprit, I'll definitely be picking up different oil. Not sure about the filter though, I still have the OEM one.... How is that? I will change the oil and oil filter before my next ride though for sure. I am praying and hoping that the dirt doesn't end up screwing with my valves.... Oh and one off topic question, is $135 dollars a rip off to check/adjust valves?

i've never used the oem filter.

just to check that would be a lot

seems about right for local shop time prices.

i would ask for before and after values of each valves lash.

I was quoted 2h at 90$/h to check valves, 3h if they had to be adjusted + parts. I did it myself and cost me 36$ in valve shims, there is a thread I posted in a couple of days ago.

As for filter and filter oil, look for No Toil. Good luck