Sign in to follow this  

06 kx250f low compression?

ok so i have a 2006 kx 250f that wouldnt start this season so i brought it to my local dirt bike dealer/mechanic and they said they put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder and it started right up, they also said the valves were good and adjusted correctly, they said it has 105psi and needs a rebuild because 105psi is apperently low, which i found odd because there are only about 20 hours since the last rebuild with oil and filters changed more frequent than needed. i didnt rebuild it and its been running great, ive put probably 3 hours on it since and it starts and runs fine. my question is, should it be rebuilt and does 105psi sound low. I would really apreciate help thanks.

well i did some math and that comes out to about 7.14 :1 compression ratio, which does sound a little low. this is probably not due to oil changes or the like, did they tear down the motor and look at the piston? you may have some scoring or damage to the piston from dirt or something. 

According to the manual the usable range of compression is 62 to 103 psi.

So if that is the true compression then there is nothing wrong with that.

Did you do all the normal checks like valve clearance, carb cleaning, new spark plug etc ?