Sign in to follow this  

Identifying year of head, cam, cylinder?

Probably a stupid question....but.....how can one know what year those parts are from?  I bought an 03 450r roller with almost two motors completely taken apart in a box.  When putting them together I quickly figured out both cases are 06's since they're easy to ID with the case number.  However I honestly could not find any part numbers or markings on the head or cylinder or cams to positively ID their year.  All I know is one piston and one head is new.  Anyone able to give some pointers? 

Edited by MN_squid

Inside the cam valve area, there is a marking in the head. It'll be MEN, MEB something like that. Thats the iteration of the head. There were several.

The cylinders are all the same from 02-08 for most purposes. The cams are marked the same way, there's a cast three character code, not some giant part number.

Head shows "MEN" near the intakes

Cylinder has MEB

Don't see any marks on the cam

So, what do those mean?

MEN  is probably the 06 head that went with those cases you have. 03 stuff was usually a MEB in the head.

MEB is the cylinder code they used from 04-08, again, probably the 06 parts. With all that evidence, Id bet the cam is 06 too.