Sign in to follow this  

Woods bike opinions?

So I'm selling my 250f and getting out of mx and looking to get a nice woods bike, but i want a bike that is still quite jump able. I still do like to air it out and not have to worry bout breaking stuff on the landing. I'm a light rider at 5'11" 140 pounds with gear, so a 250 2 stroke is a lot for me to handle in tight woods. It'll be a used bike, probably a 2 stroke, but I'm kinda new to the woods bikes, most of my background is moto.

I'm leaning towards the KTM 200 or 300 XC but i also would really like e start.

But I'm open to suggestions, so please fire away with ideas and info on these bikes. Thank you

Love my 300 in the woods. Plenty of grunt for low RPMs, but I weigh about 100lbs more than you. I haven't ridden a 200, so I don't know how much stronger the 300 is, but it will lug or scream all day. The estart is definitely a plus, and with the adjustable power valve you can make it as smooth or as aggressive as you want to be. The XC is going to have a softer suspension than a full on MX bike, but still stiff enough to air it out some

I'd go with the ktm 300xc. I was in a similar situation as you. I wanted a trail worthy bike that also performed well on the track. As FUdad said, the 300xc will tractor anything at low rpms and will scream with a touch of the throttle. The suspension is soft and will need adjustment accordingly. I set it hard,a few clicks past the "sport" settings on both front and rear, and its perfect for me. The 300 shines very well on the track  and is a blast to "air it out"!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys!

Have any of you ridden both the ktm 200xcw and the 300xc? Whats the comparison?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Have any of you ridden both the ktm 200xcw and the 300xc? Whats the comparison?

I've ride a 200 now (since '09), and have had two 300's in the past ('02 - '08).

After having a 400, then the two 300's I was scared about all the "200 hype". Could it really be that good? Would I love it after being used to a truck load of grunt?  Then answer is yes and yes. The 300 has stump pulling low end, but will hurt you in the single track if you hit the massive mid range. The 200 has way more low end than you'd expect, but it is a blast in the mid to upper range.

I've know a couple of riders that got caught up in all the 300 hype when getting in and were ready to quit riding before getting 200's. The 300 is a great bike, but it is also more polarizing. Some love it, some hate it (but they don't know they hate it until they try something else). The 200 is more, some love it, some love it more. You're used to a light handling bike without uncontrollable power on a big wide track, moving into the trees is not the time to learn to control a beast.