Sign in to follow this  

Older CR500 motor in a 2001 500 frame ?

I'm have been presented an opportunity to buy a 2001 CR500 rolling chassis and have a live on a 87 CR500 bike. I'm trying to create a bad ass endurance racer.

I'm just wondering if the older motors are that much different than the newer models for bolting in. I'm sure there not the same but how drastic are the changes? If you have done this before let me know. Thank you all

I put an '85 engine into an '88 chassis, which would present some of the same minor issues that you will face. The head stay may need the chassis bolt hole elongated because the cylinder deck is 5mm shorter on the older engine. The carburetor will press into the airboot tighter because the reed boss is 7mm longer on the older engine. 

Your biggest challenge will be getting a late model pipe to fit on the older engine that has the radiator hose going to the back of the cylinder head--but I hear that can be done with some kind of heat shield between the pipe and radiator hose. I didn't have that issue since the '88 chassis still used the old-style "up pipe". 

The swingarm pivot dia changed from 15 to 17mm in 89. You will need to have the case bushings bored out to match.