Sign in to follow this  

New guy, 2 new XR's, I jumped in with both feet!

Hi. New to the thumper forum. Started with a new 600 on Friday and got my second one Sunday. I guess I went full on XR. You can see my intent with the 600 here http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1080953-new-guy-89-xr600/

So you dont have to go over there and read... cliff notes: Im not new to bikes, I regularly ride street, always had inline 4s, rode trials when I was young, Im only 29... (TY80, Montessa Cota, TL 125, Beta, Aprilia 280) I stopped trials in high school. I got a Suzuki RF600 when I was 15 and been on the street since, my go-to now is a Bandit 1200. Wife and I are taking a Colorado trip in a few months and I thought the best way to sight see would be on a tumper.... 1. Because I can throw it on the hitch carrier and hammer down and, 2. If i brought a street bike, the scenery would go by to quick.

The 600 I got needs some work, street legal kit, sprocket, tank issues, jetting issues etc. 

I was driving through the neighborhood and saw the 200 for sale and couldnt help myself. I stole it, and literally rode it home. (two blocks, haha) It needs carbs cleaned, but I figure thats it for now.

My issue now is, sell the 200 and dump the cash into the 6, or sell the 6 and enjoy the 2.

Wife and I really load up the 200 (we had a quick ride around the block in the rain with no passenger pegs) It sure was fun. I have had 200 for just a few hrs and have had more fun.

Advice? Put around CO on the 6 or the 2?

First two pics are of the 6 (disassembled obviously) and the other three are of the sweet little 200.  I really wish the 200 would handle my two-up Colorado trip....

photo%25202%2520%25281%2529.JPG

photo%25201%2520%25282%2529.JPG

photo%25201%2520%25283%2529.JPG

photo%25203%2520%25283%2529.JPG

photo%25202%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Edited by markc522

Hey There. 

The 200 in that model of the RFVC had issuses and if it was me I would not keep it. They are a four valve. Honda went back to the 2 valve after these years of 84 - 85. But in saying that this one looks to be in very good condition so hard call. A true collector of these models would pay reasonable money for a very tidy one like this.

Perhaps sell it and get a 2 valve model but like I said hard call due to it's condition. It is very tidy.  

The XR 600 is the funnest dirt bike I ever had, for such a heavy bike it handles remarkably well, and the torque, OMG. :jawdrop:

Restarting after a get off, not so much fun, think 1 cylinder Harley and don't touch the throttle ever when restarting.

You'll learn the drill, you don't have a choice.  

The 4 valve XR 200 will have to have regular oil changes, I would suggest every other ride at the very least. These were considered to be

"overheaters" as was the XR 250 for the same years. Honda went back to the 2 valve lighter motor in 86 which continued with minor motor

variances up through 2002. Honda fixed the XR250R in 86 and put an oil cooler up on the upper part of the steering neck. I don't know if

you can retrofit an oil cooler to your 84,or 85, it might be worth investigating.

Hope you enjoy both of them.   

Michael

Edited by KTM520EXC

There is nothing wrong with the 84-85 four-cam, twin-carb XR200 engines as long as they are taken care of properly.  Change the oil and adjust the valves every 200 miles and they will run forever.  My 1984 Al Baker XR265R is still in use to this very day because I took care of it.

Sold the 200. More than double what I bought it for. I was genuinely sad to see it go. I was riding around the neighborhood nearly every evening!

The money is going to the big one, so maybe that can fill the void.

• Like 1

Great. They are well worth the money to the right person.....these RFCV are collectors.