Sign in to follow this  

Drz400 oil leak - oil screen

Hey guys, my drz has developed an oil leak which appears to be coming from the oil screen bolt. I have no clue what I should do next, i was hoping that it was leaking from a frame plug but I changed oil and crush washers on the plugs and it's still leaking. I degreased the motor and noticed that the 24mm bolt is getting wet in oil.

It only seems to loose a few drops after a ride, and only in the cooling process.

Should I get a new oil screen/bolt thing? Is there a crush washer there? (Under the 24mm bolt)

Any help is appreciated!

Damian

image.jpg

Trying to add one more pic. It's not working well on a mobile device.

image.jpg

Edited by glina126

Are you sure its coming from the bolt? If you changed washers and you snuged it down pretty good i dont see why it would be leaking. Remember oil goes down not up try and spot oil above maybe runoff if you can. I wouldnt buy a new bolt if it still looks good. Maybe snug it down a little more?

Are you sure its coming from the bolt? If you changed washers and you snuged it down pretty good i dont see why it would be leaking. Remember oil goes down not up try and spot oil above maybe runoff if you can. I wouldnt buy a new bolt if it still looks good. Maybe snug it down a little more?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I never touched the oil screen bolt. I just did a normal change hoping that it would be the frame plug. From what I looked online the "bolt" I'm talking about is a whole oil screen assembly. Thus I want advice before I proceed and buy a new one and before I drain out the fresh oil :/

Yes there is a seal washer with the oil strainer.  I believe it is a copper washer.  Consult the TT parts fiche above.  The oil strainer is normally very tight.  Has it ever been removed?

Yes there is a seal washer with the oil strainer.  I believe it is a copper washer.  Consult the TT parts fiche above.  The oil strainer is normally very tight.  Has it ever been removed?

No it has never been removed. I guess the first thing I will do then is replace the washer and go on from there. Thanks! I will post back my results

Damian