ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Hi my ktm 450 is blowing blue smoke loosing oil but still has lots of compression what do u think is wrong anyone

yup, time to tear it apart and either replace the rings, or the whole piston + rings.

Did the problem start immediately, or did it gradually get worse with continued use?  There are multiple piston rings on 4-storkes, some to control oil and some for compression.  Also a 4-stroke has valve stem seals that can leak oil and cause oil burning.  If the bike just has lots of hours on it then it's probably time for a rebuild.  If the bike is new, then maybe the valve stem seals just went bad.  In this case remove the throttle body and exhaust pipe and shine a flashlight in there and look for oil running down the valve stems.  If something major happened (bad overheat, etc...) then it's time to take it apart and inspect.

How old is the bike, how many hours? One of my friends had a 2007 exc and it blew blue smoke every time he crashed. Some sort of breather tube was feeding oil into the intake. It would go away after a about 5 minutes. If its always blowing smoke then I agree with the others.