Sign in to follow this  

XR 250 restoration

So i thought i would make a thread on the progress on my 1989 XR250r that i got cheap, i have a number of things plans for this beast, like giving it the rear disc brake conversion like the 1990 plus models and powder coating the frame etc. Currently have the bike down to the frame and sourcing out a new frame as this one is tweaked and cracked. Head gasket is also blown but thought id leave the engine until last and focus on the frame/wheels/painting and so on first.

anyway here is a list of things she needs and pictures will follow.

call me mad for putting in this effort and money into such an old bike all you want but i still love doing it :p

*frame

*linkage bearings

*wheel bearing

*steering head bearing

*numerous bolts

*swing arm/conversion

*rear master cylinder/conversion

*rear wheel/conversion

*master cylinder frame bracket/conversion

*brake and clutch levers

*fork seals

*rear shock restore

*plastic kit

*top end gasket kit

*cylinder boring

*piston kit

*oil drain bolt

*grips

*etc etc etc etc

Untitled.png

DSC00791.JPG

DSC00798.JPG

DSC00785.JPG

DSC00797.JPG

while i wait for parts to arrive i thought id try remove the linkage bearings, completely welded in!! some heat and a vice should do the trick tomorrow evening.

DSC01032.JPG

I know we need parts bikes but i'm with you on the rebuild . Wrenching for me is like a hobby as much as riding or more . It's really rewarding to be able to compare the trash you started with to the finished product. Keep posting . By the way that frame looks good to me just needs a lil' rattle can, fix that right up  :lol:

• Like 1

thanks alot, lol im glad im not the only mad man out there ;) i think i may cut that section out of the frame and see how i go with some welding, il keep you updated

• Like 1

Just finished the 01 cr250 in my garage it was mostly in boxes with about 20% of it just gone when i found it on ebay . Been sitting in a garage in texas for 7 years when i picked it up. 

IMG_2064.JPG

IMG_2106.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

Just finished the 01 cr250 in my garage it was mostly in boxes with about 20% of it just gone when i found it on ebay . Been sitting in a garage in texas for 7 years when i picked it up. 

More things to do, cylinder has a lateral scratch that i can run my finger nail across, will be getting that bored at a later date, crank seems good atm with no play just a little side to side. for the time being i will get some head stem bearings so the bike can at least stand on 2 wheels when the frame is done and i have aquired the later model swingarm and wheel.

DSC01038.JPG

DSC01039.JPG

DSC01040.JPG

DSC01041.JPG

DSC01043.JPG

Edited by NzJohny
  • Like 1

very nice!! that shall keep me going

how did you get the cases so clean?

I did the same as your doing normal wear parts you know will need replaced , bearings,seals, nut and bolt kit for my specific model . Ordered all of it and clean til' it gets there  :rolleyes: Then you will think of 1k bucks worth of other stuff you still want  :facepalm: .

• Like 1

how did you get the cases so clean?

Soda blasted them , they looked new but thats actually a silver engine paint i ordered from JEG's . Soda blasting is the way to go saved me hours of cleaning although i still probably had 100 in it anyway . Works amazing on aluminum . 

Soda blasted them , they looked new but thats actually a silver engine paint i ordered from JEG's . Soda blasting is the way to go saved me hours of cleaning although i still probably had 100 in it anyway . Works amazing on aluminum . 

i will definitely be doing that!!

If you have a compressor you can pick up a siphon feed soda blaster for like 12 bucks on ebay . unless you go all out and buy a blast cabinet ( wish i had ) for about 100 .  With a cabinet you can reuse most of your baking soda too . i went through about 10 lbs. but i did the whole frame then sanded then polished ( for days )  :foul: haha . I even blast the inside of my carbs now and rinse with carb cleaner and blow them out just like new . Pic of a 14 yr. old rear master cylinder with a rebuild kit and polished the pedal. 

IMG_2152.JPG

• Like 1

sorry, wrong post! I clean my carb a few days ago and I see my carb full of dirt compared to yours... cheers! 

Edited by bobby456gt

How well would the soda blast work on the assembled XR engine while it is in the frame? Rocker cover, head, cylinder, cases, etc.  What psI?  Will it remove the paint from the clutch cover?

How well would the soda blast work on the assembled XR engine while it is in the frame? Rocker cover, head, cylinder, cases, etc.  What psI?  Will it remove the paint from the clutch cover?

I blast mine every few rides after washing and drying. then wash again to remove the baking soda  dusted all over it. It will remove paint if you get close enough . you can buy different grits of soda but i usually just buy 4-5 big boxes at the store about 2 bucks a box. If you do it cover your intake box very good . I use 2 in" painters masking tape because i get it cheap . clean and reoil your airfilter afterwards . Baking soda crystals are very sharp and would shred an engine like sand . The cheapo gun i have runs good at about 90 psi. ( ebay )  i have a little 5 gallon tank so do a little then stop. But it works frikin amazing on porous aluminum looks better than new . I bought 2 blasters one very small gravity feed hand held and a siphon feed about 12 bucks each. It won't hurt rubber or plastic but still try and stay away from it. watch a few videos on you tube of soda blasting like i said its a night and day difference in clean . 

Looking good! And a lot of good tips here. Thinking of post I my restore after im done.. or starting it now :D

• Like 1