Sign in to follow this  

Oil coming out of breather tube on 250xcf

I've got a 2011 ktm and it's been bored out. Ever since it's been bored out after i park my bike there's a small puddle of oil on the ground that seems to be coming from the breather tube from under the bike. Every ride or so I have to keep topping off the oil in my bike. Any idea what it could be?

X2 on the overfill on oil.

However, it's more likely that it's your compression ring(s) than overfill on oil, if you know it the proper amount is in there. Bad compression rings cause a leaky breather because compression is passing by the piston into the crankcase and blowing oil out.

If you had a bad oil ring chances are you would be burning oil.

Edited by 110Tim

I know others have said the big bore does breath a bit more than std and use a tiny bit if oil

Are you talking about the breather tube from the cam cover?  The breather tube on my '08 HTR 350 XCF-W empties into the carb.  What I and many others do is to install a longer breather tube making a loop from the cam cover up just under the frame going forward then back down to the carb.  This keeps most of any potential 'escaping' oil in the engine.  I doubt that it is a wise idea to have the breather tube open like it is now.  

Last time I checked the bike wasn't burning oil. So should I just install a longer breather tube? And also oil would come out through the breather tube say if I dropped the bike right?