Sign in to follow this  

Foam stuck around air intake normal?

Hi all,

I own a 2013 kx 450f with about 20 hours on it.

Yesterday I was doing some maintence on my bike such as a oil change and air filter change. When it came time to remove old air filter after taking out the wing nut it took some effort to remove actual filter.

After looking closer I saw the the filter was breaking and pieces were being left behind where the filter rim was touching the bike.

I was curious if this is a problem or common or could it be solved by using diffrent filter and/or grease?

The filters I have been using are the No-toil fast filter that come in the bag already sticky and before putting in the new ones i would put some no-toil grease arounds rim as it says in manual. i was told of filters by someone at track and they are very convinient I bought a couple and just use them once. I just am unsure of how good they are really.

I added some pics of the residue...If someone could let me know if this will be a problem or is normal it would be a big help Im new to dirt bike maintence and rying to do everything right.

20140420_104635.jpg

20140420_104647.jpg

thanks

Edited by suplol

hey man great input! very helpful

If anyone has any clue what caused this or a fix for it please let me know

Edited by suplol

What solvent have you been using to clean the filter? That is usually what destroys near new foam.

I dont clean them I bought 4 or 5 of the no-toil that come with oil already on them after i use one i will throw it away and open new one

but i was out of town for a month and a half so didnt change it for that long

i use these http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/734/15516/No-Toil-Pre-Oiled-Air-Filter

i just dont know how good they are..they are very convinent and i thought no-toil made decent stuff

just dont know what i could use to remove whats stuck or if its even needing to be removed at risk of falling into intake

Edited by suplol

I'd contact no toil.

I would clean it off and make it spotless.

IMHO, throw away is also often cheap. Food for thought.

I keep a couple regular filters on hand. Then when they are all dirty, I have 'air filter day'. Mass cleaning, re-oiling and bagging.

• Like 1

I'd contact no toil.

I would clean it off and make it spotless.

IMHO, throw away is also often cheap. Food for thought.

I keep a couple regular filters on hand. Then when they are all dirty, I have 'air filter day'. Mass cleaning, re-oiling and bagging.

Could you recommend best way youd think to do it if thats stuff falls in there that would be bad correct? like maybe put a platic over metal grate?

what my main concern is could this be caused by a bigger problem or just maybe a bad filter could it be getting to hot in air box or something?

Edited by suplol

Perhaps a shop vac running and the nozzle right where you are rubbing/picking the stuck on foam bits. Othertwise, it may be removal of the airbox and a bench cleaning, a real pain to do.

I doubt it is too hot or indicative of anything wrong with your bike. Just deteriorating (cheap) air filters. If any material did get in, it is pretty harmless so do not loose sleep over it.

• Like 1

Just pull the airbox off, it's only a couple bolts and you can get it out pretty quick

I think it's mostly caused by the no toil "grease". It's not grease, but their water based tuff, so it dries out and becomes semi-solid like glue. Use a lot less of it, or none of it, or don't screw the cage on so tight.  If the cage is healthy then no dirt gets under the lip of a filter. The KX450F has a strong well design stock filter cage. Do it up with two fingers just firm but not tight, and change the filter more often. If storing the bike for a month or more, then take the filter off and install a wash cover instead.

I think it's also caused by cheap shitty foam.

I use Twin Air filters and No Toil bio "oil". No problems. I've had good valve rim and seat life. Usually 150 hrs from a set of TI valves.

• Like 1