Sign in to follow this  

GreenPondMoto caliper bracket for SM conversions

I have a 2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR. I believe this is almost entirely bolt-for-bolt identical to the DRZ400S. I believe this post applies to all -S and -E models being converted to -SM.

Last winter I bought some sumo wheels. They are excels and I believe they are from a stock DRZ400SM. Although I do not know which year. They came to me with upgraded brake calipers front and back. The front rotor is a Braking brand STX86D rotor. This is a 310mm full-floating premo rotor. It is very similar to the Galfer brand rotors I have on my track toy. My track toy has fantastic brakes, so I was excited to use this upgraded rotor and also have fantastic brakes.

The catch is that nobody seems to make a caliper relocation bracket to run a 310mm rotor on a S or E model DRZ. I went through several iterations that did not work out for me, including trying a Braking brand bracket designed for a 320mm rotor. All this did was nicely notch my brand new brake pads and cause severe vibrations in the front end.

20140401_182243.jpg

I was about to call it a day and just order a 320mm rotor or rotor + bracket kit, then try to flip the 310mm to some lucky SM owner. Then a guy on ADVRider turned me onto a guy in Alabama that machines brackets for this very application. I quickly pay-pal'ed him some dough. A week later I had a bracket.

20140419_102357.jpg

As you maybe can tell, the fit between the bracket and the caliper is very, very tight. This photo is after me working the bracket with a file for a while. And I still wasn't happy with the fit. Eventually I took an angle grinder to it and ground off quite a bit of material. The workmanship of the bracket is not the best. There are plenty of rough edges. I believe this was machined by hand. There is even one part where the operator clearly went the wrong way with one of the axis on the mill!

Here you can see much of the filing and grinding I did to the part.

20140419_102005.jpg

Once I ground down the edges enough to get the caliper to slide freely, I cleaned it up and hosed it down with some heavy duty engine paint I had laying around. I'm calling this one done.

20140420_101348.jpg

Also notice that the factory caliper bracket needed some filing to fit the thicker rotor. It is still a very close fit, but the rotor does not hang up. I also had to adjust the fit using washers as spacers.

20140419_102601.jpg

This bracket is not the optimal solution. The Braking brand bracket I had replaces the entire caliper bracket assembly including inboard slide pin. It is very nicely machined and a much higher quality, better engineered solution. It also moves the brake caliper out and up. This means the factory length brake line reaches without any issue. As you can see, mine is slightly strained using the GreenPondMoto bracket.

20140401_192734.jpg

If looking for one of these brackets. Try contacting yamahamer1969@gmail.com

Edited by nhbubba
  • Like 2

the cnc'd caliper adapters are all the same dimensionally.

i've had several of the prototypes on my bike, and the spacing was tweaked several times to get the largest amount of material on the bracket that was possible without interfering with installation. if there were a stack of fork lugs, calipers, and hangers from the entire 14 year run of the drz to test against, that would be great, but there isn't. :(

i think what you're looking at is the differences in the dies used in the casting (or forging?) of the brake calipers, fork lugs, and hangers.

i shot these a few minutes ago to show the usual clearances between the rotor, caliper/adapter, and brake pads. you can even see the grinding i did early on to give the rotor some clearance until another prototype was made:

IMG_20140421_081449.jpg

i also found the differences from one caliper to another for disk clearances was off about 1/16" from one to another. apparently this was treated as 'clearance' only during caliper production, and not critical.

IMG_20140421_081311.jpg

IMG_20140421_081344.jpg

IMG_20140421_081456.jpg

also, loosen the bolt / clamp on the side of your fork that holds your brake line in place. you'll need to slide the brake line down about 1/2" to give it the proper slack and not have it in a bind with the caliper more than an inch out from it's normal position ;-) then no worries. 
Edited by ohgood

i've had several of the prototypes on my bike, and the spacing was tweaked several times to get the largest amount of material on the bracket that was possible without interfering with installation. if there were a stack of fork lugs, calipers, and hangers from the entire 14 year run of the drz to test against, that would be great, but there isn't. :(

No doubt.

Also of interest, I ordered what was supposed to be a caliper bracket for an '08 DRZ400SM because someone on this board posted that the bracket would relocate my caliper correctly for my S.. and i believed them. The bracket was visually identical to the bracket I already have.. but the mounting holes were maybe a mm or two out of alignment. I've concluded that I either ordered an E/S bracket by mistake or that's just the way it is. After your tip on ADVRider (thanks again!  :thumbsup:) I decided this bracket was safer than continuing to play restocking fee-roulette with random Suzuki part numbers.

I'm glad I did. Bracket works as advertised, once I took a file and grinder to it.

Tried to fix the brake line as you mention. But there seems to be a plastic ridge molded into it that the line retainer at the bottom of the fork holds onto. This means I can't just slide the line down and re-tighten the retainer. Although maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

Braided lines are on my short-list for upgrades anyway. I figured I'd order +1" on the caliper side and be happy.

But I'll look at the line retainer again.

if you completely remove the phillips head screw, and pull the clamp off, you'll see it can slide up/down as much as you like. there are either two or three tubes to protect the brake line, which need to fit into each other to keep from getting a kink/bind with motion of things. 

if you can post up some more close up pictures of the hanger to the caliper it would help. thanks :)

From the first post   "They came to me with upgraded brake calipers front and back"   What is ungraded about the calipers?

From the first post   "They came to me with upgraded brake calipers front and back"   What is ungraded about the calipers?

Baaaaah! That's a brain fart. Can't even call it a typo as the word 'rotor' is nowhere near the word 'caliper'.

Yeah, wheels came loaded with rotors and sprocket. No calipers. Calipers are standard issue, 12+ year old -S calipers.

I can't seem to edit the original post at this point.

Looking good bubba,  glad you got it sorted?

So what did that cost btw?

Is your conversion now complete?

Cost was $70 shipped.

All sorted. Conversion is close enough to complete.. for now. Bike is rideable and works pretty well as is. Taking it to the track next week. Shall see if track-side tech agrees with me.

Now I can pee money away on go-fast bits.