Sign in to follow this  

When to bump a 85 to a Supermini?

Hey everyone, new to the forum and first post. Just looking for a little feedback or advice.....

Just got my girlfriend into riding, I picked up a 06 KX85 that needed some love. We pretty much tore it all down and built it back up to OEM specs, kind of a learning thing for her and just freshened it up really good. (Yes I got a keeper for sure) She is absolutely in love with Motocross and we are getting her ready for her first race. She is about 5'1 and 130lbs and 22years old so she is done growing pretty much. The KX is on the smaller tire set 17/14 size, now she has a total of 11 hours riding time under her belt and is just starting to open the throttle to about 1/2 way in 3rd gear on the track....no where near maxing the bike out, BUT I am seeing all these badass built superminis flying around the track and I am itching to convert hers and give it more power, but I think I am jumping the gun (being on the sidelines with a ACL recovery I turned into the mechanic/coach) so my question is what are some signs it's time to step it up a bit? She has not really jumped anything at all, but I see her struggle a bit in deep ruts but that is probably a combo of wheel size and lack of experience. She can fit on a KX100 no problem, but a 125 is probably always out of the question because of her size. Here are a few pics of her riding last week to give a size idea....Thanks a lot guys for any input! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086307.356224.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086395.045506.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086408.197223.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086446.485601.jpg

2006 KX85

2012 KX250F

2012 KX450F

AMA District 6 #225

Hey everyone, new to the forum and first post. Just looking for a little feedback or advice.....

Just got my girlfriend into riding, I picked up a 06 KX85 that needed some love. We pretty much tore it all down and built it back up to OEM specs, kind of a learning thing for her and just freshened it up really good. (Yes I got a keeper for sure) She is absolutely in love with Motocross and we are getting her ready for her first race. She is about 5'1 and 130lbs and 22years old so she is done growing pretty much. The KX is on the smaller tire set 17/14 size, now she has a total of 11 hours riding time under her belt and is just starting to open the throttle to about 1/2 way in 3rd gear on the track....no where near maxing the bike out, BUT I am seeing all these badass built superminis flying around the track and I am itching to convert hers and give it more power, but I think I am jumping the gun (being on the sidelines with a ACL recovery I turned into the mechanic/coach) so my question is what are some signs it's time to step it up a bit? She has not really jumped anything at all, but I see her struggle a bit in deep ruts but that is probably a combo of wheel size and lack of experience. She can fit on a KX100 no problem, but a 125 is probably always out of the question because of her size. Here are a few pics of her riding last week to give a size idea....Thanks a lot guys for any input! attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086307.356224.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086395.045506.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086408.197223.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398086446.485601.jpg

2006 KX85

2012 KX250F

2012 KX450F

AMA District 6 #225

More pics of just he... I mean, that's cool! haha.

I'm into datsuns, my girl now rocks one and loves it.. I ride, and she said she'd like to ride with me also.. So will be snagging her a bike soon, see how she does and if she's really into it.  Family that rides together, stays together! 

I'm into datsuns, my girl now rocks one and loves it.. I ride, and she said she'd like to ride with me also.. So will be snagging her a bike soon, see how she does and if she's really into it. Family that rides together, stays together!

Hahahaha yeah I got to be a bit of a guard dog at the track sometimes, for some reason when somone gets behind her and see's the blonde hair flapping over her neck-brace their is always at least one guy the follows back to the truck when she gets off the track. Gives me a good laugh lol. Yeah man get her a bike for sure it's so cool having her into it, I think we spend more time in garage working on bikes, and watching YouTube videos and always watching the pro races like 3 times over, can't complain one bit lol.

2006 KX85 / 2012 KX250F

2012 KX450F / District 6 #225

Instagram + Twitter: Schearer225

Hahahaha yeah I got to be a bit of a guard dog at the track sometimes, for some reason when somone gets behind her and see's the blonde hair flapping over her neck-brace their is always at least one guy the follows back to the truck when she gets off the track. Gives me a good laugh lol. Yeah man get her a bike for sure it's so cool having her into it, I think we spend more time in garage working on bikes, and watching YouTube videos and always watching the pro races like 3 times over, can't complain one bit lol.

2006 KX85 / 2012 KX250F

Same here!  When I am out wrenching she comes out and hangs most times.  She doesn't quite understand what I'm doing but she looks... thinks about it, then figures it out. Doesn't know what parts or things are called but understands what they do. 

Supermini's are Money pits $$$ ......

She looks like she would benefit from the bigger wheels .so either convert her 85 (get a 100 swingarm and 19/16 wheels ) or get a kx100.

If shes not WOT on the 85 then No reason she needs any more power then the 85 . 

Build her a Big Wheel 103, the extra stroke helps a lot with bottom end, where she'll be running the motor mostly. Stroker crank, head mod for clearance and I'd say get the port timing adjusted for the bigger bore. You'll have a very reliable motor with great bottom to mid for her style of riding. Something she can ride for years to come.

Build her a Big Wheel 103, the extra stroke helps a lot with bottom end, where she'll be running the motor mostly. Stroker crank, head mod for clearance and I'd say get the port timing adjusted for the bigger bore. You'll have a very reliable motor with great bottom to mid for her style of riding. Something she can ride for years to come.

Great feed back, that sounds like a route more suited for her size. I don't see her really screaming the piss out of it anytime soon, more bottom end is where I think she would really benefit. I think first I will do the wheel/swing arm combo so she can benefit from the bigger wheels and travel, and then we the motor needs freshening go the motor route for sure. Does anyone know if the 06' KX85 forks and shock are the same as the 100's? I was going to freshen them up a bit with new seals, fluid, and springs for her weight and skill, not sure if any other internal upgrades would benefit at this time too

2006 KX85 / 2012 KX250F

Edited by schearer225

You just need to run the 100 forks level with top of clamps to compensate for the taller front tire.

You just need to run the 100 forks level with top of clamps to compensate for the taller front tire.

Ok cool! Thanks for the help!

2006 KX85 / 2012 KX250F

She needs a lot more time to refine her skills and get faster before you should think about doing any engine modifications. Engine mods should come in once she is able to make the most out of what the bike can give. I've spent a lot of hours on a KX85, and it really is an extremely capable machine in stock form. If she is only using half throttle and getting into 3rd gear, the last thing she needs is more power.

If you want her to get faster, and be more confident, make her more comfortable and in control of the bike. Put the larger wheels and swingarm on it. The combination of the bigger wheels and wheelbase makes it far easier to control at speed or through any rough areas of the track.

She looks extremely cramped, too. There is no way she can ride aggressively like that. The ergonomics are my main complaint about the KX. The bars are too low, and close to the body. The footpegs are too high and far forward. The seat is too wide, and plants you in an awkward spot that makes it hard to move around. Luckily, all of these are pretty cheap to fix. Some taller bars, offset pegs, and some time making your own seat shape will open up the riding position and make her a lot more comfortable on the bike.

I know the bikes with the crazy mods to the engine look/sound/are awesome, but you spend way more time and money working on them when you could be riding them. I had my RM motor sent out to PR2 for a port, polish, cases stuffed and ported, milled head, 2mm longer rod, better carb, three stage reeds, full exhaust, ignition advance, airbox mod, lightened flywheel, running on race fuel, but stock displacement. It's by far the fastest 85 I had ever ridden, but it was ridiculously expensive and troublesome to replace anything. I would also need to rejet the bike AT LEAST ONCE every time I went to the track because it was so finicky. It wasn't worth it.

No matter how fast the bike is, it will only go as fast as she will make it go. Work with her in becoming a better rider.

Alot of good advice here. You mentioned she's having trouble in the ruts. Well, remember its a 2 stroke. They don't putt-putt through ruts well. Teach her to find a smoother outside line and lean more,

One of the most important things to teach her is the inside foot......get it out there by the front axle in the turns.

I'm into datsuns, my girl now rocks one and loves it.. I ride, and she said she'd like to ride with me also.. So will be snagging her a bike soon, see how she does and if she's really into it. Family that rides together, stays together!

Do you happen to be into datsun mini trucks? Or cars?

Do you happen to be into datsun mini trucks? Or cars?

Very lol.  I'm on ratsun as "izzo" as well, and I own NWdatsuns.com, tho I run it with a few friends.

Edited by izzo

Very lol. I'm on ratsun as "izzo" as well, and I own NWdatsuns.com, tho I run it with a few friends.

O thats awsome dude! Im into the mazda minis i have a b2200 myself.

Sorry for the thread hijack

You might think about just getting a KX100. Obviously, the motor will have better bottom end. The one difference is that the 100 frame is a little longer so it would open up the ergos a bit. 

The big wheels will make a difference. I went the opposite way with my kid and put 14/17 wheels on his 100 until he grew a bit. Just swapped back to 16/19 this past weekend.

When going from small wheels to big wheels you'll need to change the gearing from ~14/49 to ~13/51

Alot of good advice here. You mentioned she's having trouble in the ruts. Well, remember its a 2 stroke. They don't putt-putt through ruts well. Teach her to find a smoother outside line and lean more,

One of the most important things to teach her is the inside foot......get it out there by the front axle in the turns.

He does make some good points. But man oh man, the low end torque and power of my KX250 compared to my old 125. What a difference. I added a 13oz flywheel weight, and 13/51 sprocket combo. I can lug that thing like a four stroke, and it hooks up amazing.  My 125 I had to pin it open and clutch the living shit out of it on hills or tricky stuff. No fun! 

See if steahly makes a flywheel weight for your 85. that will help with the motor mass at low rpm, and smooths out the power all thru out. 

Edited by izzo