Sign in to follow this  

clutch basket bearing wore out? (engine noise)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=yz+250+engine+noise

I've already rebuilt the top end but still have this noise, right now I have the engine halfway apart and the only thing I can find wrong is the clutch basket has deep grooves from the fibers and the inner hub has some grooves from the metal plates, also the basket had a little play in it when it was tightened down... so at this point I was thinking of finding a good used clutch and a new clutch basket bearing..

I can't get the cover off for the impeller I don't know what they used on it, but on the back side the gear and shaft can be pulled out and pushed in about 1/8"...

Please help I want to get this thing back together and ride soon.

Link doesn't work.

Need more info on this noise. Detonation is pretty common and this can make noise in top end.

Does the noise happen when in gear/clutch in/ in motion/warm/hot, sounds like ...? a cat in a drier ... your step uncle after eating too many beans?

I can't post pics on this site with my phone so I sent them to the atv forum Im a member of.. hard to get links to work to so I don't know if it will work. but here it is.

I did find a mark across the inside of 5 basket fingers and its a pic of the primary drive bolt, what happened?

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/100-other-yamahas/298177-04-yz250-engine-noise-what-you-guys-think.html#post2748082

Please take a look at the pics of the clutch and let me know anything else you want to see a pic of

I can't post pics on this site with my phone so I sent them to the atv forum Im a member of.. hard to get links to work to so I don't know if it will work. but here it is.

I did find a mark across the inside of 5 basket fingers and its a pic of the primary drive bolt, what happened?

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/100-other-yamahas/298177-04-yz250-engine-noise-what-you-guys-think.html#post2748082

Please take a look at the pics of the clutch and let me know anything else you want to see a pic of

Clearly debris flying in your trans, but I don't have too much an idea about what broke inside.

Mine also had pieces flying inside, but mine was clearly from the primary drive bolt coming all the way loose to the point where it allowed the governor gear to wobble on the crank and eventually contact the back edge of the clutch basket.Lastly, the primary drive gear bolt decided it wanted to pop out of the clutch cover.

Dude, sorry to give you bad news but your right side crank seal is poking out and you didn't notice. See a picture of mine attached. And I thought I was the only one to bend up the triangular shaped retaining plates.

You would be well-advised to replace.

0411141957.jpg

Clearly debris flying in your trans, but I don't have too much an idea about what broke inside.

Mine also had pieces flying inside, but mine was clearly from the primary drive bolt coming all the way loose to the point where it allowed the governor gear to wobble on the crank and eventually contact the back edge of the clutch basket.Lastly, the primary drive gear bolt decided it wanted to pop out of the clutch cover.

Dude, sorry to give you bad news but your right side crank seal is poking out and you didn't notice. See a picture of mine attached. And I thought I was the only one to bend up the triangular shaped retaining plates.

You would be well-advised to replace.

you might be on to something, I opened the check bolt and nothing came out. I had to just about lean the bike all the way over to get oil to come out..  I drained it, only about 1/4 of a qt was in it. ( I got about 4 tanks of fuel thru it now)  it seems to run good, the idle does lower as it gets hot... I thought it would go up if the seal blows? 

Edited by yz250474