Sign in to follow this  

Hip pain - seeking advice on treatment - Dr. Mark?

I have some moderate hip pain on the right side. I am trying to figure out what to do treatment wise.  Hoping Dr. Mark can help with this.  Yes, I know I could go see an ortho but that'll cost me $$$ so I'm trying to decide before I go.  I took that route with shoulder impingment and it was $475 for X-Rays, an ultrasound, a cortisone shot, and telling me to go to PT (which did work, by the way).....

I'm a tall rider (6-2) and rather slow in the woods.  I put my feet down A LOT. Probably too much.  A few times my right leg has gotten caught on something and probably hyper extended the hip in the process.  Especially with the extra weight of a size 13 riding boot on it.  I am working on this behavior and doing it less now.

I also do Crossfit 3-4 times a week.   And was a runner for probably 17 of the last 20 years.

This has been going on for a few years but recently with in the last year or so the hip has started to bother me.  Sometimes while running.  Almost all the time while squatting and lunging, especially when at the "bottom" of a squat.  Certain jumping movements do it too.  And of course while riding, namely when kicking the bike and putting my foot out in turns.  I can also feel a "clicking" sensation in the hip when I put my hand on it while walking.   This doesn't happen on the left side.

I did some research into this, and a few things have come up:

Snapping Hip

Hip Impingement

Bursitis

Torn Labrum

I'm kind of lost here.  Is my description enough to figure out what this might be?  I do plan on making an appointment - just trying to make sure I'm doing it the right way.

Its impossible to make a diagnosis on a case like this without a proper examination.  Since your are adverse to paying for a doctor's opinion, you might consider the VA hospital if you are a veteran, or the local indigent clinic,but they charge you based on your income.

I'm not adverse to it but my insurance is really screwing me these days.  :)  Obamacare has led to us paying more for EEVERYTHING and almost full price for such "elective" procedures as mid-pregnancy ultrasounds (which are, of coruse, completely necessary..).

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will make some calls since that is the right thing to do.

You forgot to add plain old boring Hip Arthritis to the list. That was my surprise.

Range of motion tests & XRay is something that makes sense, MRI next but more costly. I think a good Physio /Ortho can almost give you the same diagnosis as an MRI sometime. Also, I suppose it comes down to how long has it been going on and is it related to a specific injury/moment? Sometimes time is needed tto repair and sometimes intervention is needed, you just need to figure out which route you're willing to go if it involves Money. I always figure you can save money by knowing, if something is ongoing versus a week or so.

Edited by lilGirl

Hip pain sucks. I have impingement in both hips and displasia in the left hip. I've had surgery to correct the impingement in the left hip, and the doc held off on surgery to fix the displasia on that side as it is right on the cusp of needing surgical fix. Unfortunately, a year after the impingement surgery symptoms are returning meaning I will likely need surgical treatment for the displasia as well. Definitely get it checked out. It would suck for you to wait to long on something and end up needing total hip replacement when something less invasive could have been done sooner.

I had FAI, an impingement and the labrum had to be anchored back. A million times better now. Did it through tricare but it was a bitch to get them to finally pay for it. The government sees this surgery as experimental so they normally won't pay, experimental is their way to avoid helping the people they should. An MRI with contrast into the joint was they only way to verify and the only way we could prove it to my insurance, plus 9000 letters, even with an approval that they sent us then declined to pay after the surgery, but persistence prevailed and we got them to pay.

Im So sick of getting fixed, crap,I probably should not ride anymore but I can't quit either.

Edited by obgod3