How to fix pulled out gas tank nuts

Anybody no how to fix the nuts that are in your tank to hold the shroud on? I tried jb weld but it got hit by a branch and broke off agian. Any help thanks

what are you putting your nuts in the gas tank for anyway?    do you face forward or backward?    how do you fit em down the filler tube?  side by side or one at a time?  got any video of that operation?   You ought to put it up on U-Tube!  I keep mine safely cradled inside my pants! 

i used a 2 part  epoxy i mixed up,  used the bolts (cover the threads with WD-40) to hold the nuts in the proper position till the epoxy dried.  Worked for me

Edited by carl johansson

what are you putting your nuts in the gas tank for anyway? do you face forward or backward? how do you fit em down the filler tube? side by side or one at a time? got any video of that operation? You ought to put it up on U-Tube! I keep mine safely cradled inside my pants!

i used a 2 part epoxy i mixed up, used the bolts (cover the threads with WD-40) to hold the nuts in the proper position till the epoxy dried. Worked for me

u might no if u had a pair. I think u can go to walmart and buy some or grow a pair bud. Your gender is unknown so u must not have any or there so small they just slip up your bum have a good day mr Carl johanason no nuts

u might no if u had a pair. I think u can go to walmart and buy some or grow a pair bud. Your gender is unknown so u must not have any or there so small they just slip up your bum have a good day mr Carl johanason no nuts

That was unnecessarily rude.... And to the OP, i would get the same kind of plastic and melt it on the.nut, as well as rough up where the but should be so when the plastic dries it stays put better

OK, so fist things first.  The first part of my response was clearly nothing more than a joke!  sorry if you did not get it.  Perhaps had you written a clear description,  calling things by their correct names,  you may have recieved a more direct answer!

Secondly,  I told you specifically how to fix your issue,  using a 2 part epoxy.  Others here have suggested melting plastic to use as a filler - viable,  assuming you have the correct equipment and know how. But more risky,  and seeing as how do not know the difference between Know,  & no,  nor have any concept as to how and when to use a comma, you might want to rethink using heat and melting plastic for a tank. 

You are not the first individual with this problem,  and it has been solved literally 10's of thousands of times,  using various methods.

Obviously your approach to solving your problem is  to try and belittle the individuals who have been there,  done that,  and sucessfully fixed the issue.  Good luck with whatever approach you use.  (BTW had you taken literally 2 minutes to google it up,  it would have been obvious to you that JB weld was NOT the solution -  and Epoxy is!

Carl "No Nuts" Johansson

Edited by carl johansson
  • Like 2

OK, so fist things first.  The first part of my response was clearly nothing more than a joke!  sorry if you did not get it.  Perhaps had you written a clear description,  calling things by their correct names,  you may have recieved a more direct answer!

Secondly,  I told you specifically how to fix your issue,  using a 2 part epoxy.  Others here have suggested melting plastic to use as a filler - viable,  assuming you have the correct equipment and know how. But more risky,  and seeing as how do not know the difference between Know,  & no,  nor have any concept as to how and when to use a comma, you might want to rethink using heat and melting plastic for a tank. 

You are not the first individual with this problem,  and it has been solved literally 10's of thousands of times,  using various methods.

Obviously your approach to solving your problem is  to try and belittle the individuals who have been there,  done that,  and sucessfully fixed the issue.  Good luck with whatever approach you use.  (BTW had you taken literally 2 minutes to google it up,  it would have been obvious to you that JB weld was NOT the solution -  and Epoxy is!

Carl "No Nuts" Johansson

The way you signed off was hilarious.

"Carl No Nuts Johansson"

Sackless conversation and Tbagging of Tanks. What a thread.....

Another solution could be that "Hysol" glue. You won't pull them out after that stuffs gone off.

The way you signed off was hilarious.

"Carl No Nuts Johansson"

Sackless conversation and Tbagging of Tanks. What a thread.....

Another solution could be that "Hysol" glue. You won't pull them out after that stuffs gone off.

Yeah,  funny thing is,  he posted that he had no nuts,  then says I have no nuts,  but my shrouds all are mounted in their nuts correctly, so  I am confused!

Anybody no how to fix the nuts that are in your tank to hold the shroud on? I tried jb weld but it got hit by a branch and broke off agian. Any help thanks

Bigty, use the search function and invest a little time finding the solutions here at TT.  This subject always comes up, and people sometimes just get tired of saying the same old thing over and over again.  I've had a lot of experience with what you're dealing with, and if you invest some time looking for the answers, you'll find it here on TT.  What you're dealing with is really common.  I'll say this much, but I do want to you search, use epoxy to fix the problem and when you do fix it, don't over tighten those bolts.  That's likely the reason they got loose in the first place.  I like you and many others are always just looking for a quick fix and not have to use the search features, but it sure gets old quick when many here repeatedly explain how to fix it.  I hope you don't think I'm being a punk about it, I just want you and others to get in the habit of using the search function here.  It's actually your friend, and of course if you had, you have the fix by now. :devil:

I ran the bolt tight and then spun the whole brass lug with a drill until it melted enough to pull it out. What was left was a circle hole for a square lug. I just used two-part epoxy (generic jb) and sank the lug into it. Trim the extra that oozes out with a blade. Ive never had an issue.

Bigty, use the search function and invest a little time finding the solutions here at TT.  This subject always comes up, and people sometimes just get tired of saying the same old thing over and over again.  I've had a lot of experience with what you're dealing with, and if you invest some time looking for the answers, you'll find it here on TT.  What you're dealing with is really common.  I'll say this much, but I do want to you search, use epoxy to fix the problem and when you do fix it, don't over tighten those bolts.  That's likely the reason they got loose in the first place.  I like you and many others are always just looking for a quick fix and not have to use the search features, but it sure gets old quick when many here repeatedly explain how to fix it.  I hope you don't think I'm being a punk about it, I just want you and others to get in the habit of using the search function here.  It's actually your friend, and of course if you had, you have the fix by now. :devil:

Agree with you YZ. But I find that Google searches often find stuff on TT better than the TT search function.

I've only spun one of those square brass things on my tank, and, after cleaning up the hole really well, filled epoxy did the job. I now use anti-seize on the threads, and no more problems.

Edited by Old Plonker

Agree with you YZ. But I find that Google searches often find stuff on TT better than the TT search function.

I've only spun one of those square brass things on my tank, and, after cleaning up the hole really well, filled epoxy did the job. I now use anti-seize on the threads, and no more problems.

Yep, agree on the Google function as I've found quite a bit of TT popping up there.  I was only emphasizing what most told me months ago when I joined and asking questions that have been answered 10 times over on different topics here and wanted to OP to know, if he'd look it up, he'd find the fixes easily.  I wrote a piece or two on the subject that pretty much explained it all and I agree, epoxy is the way to go, and there's no need to tighten those bolts like it's holding the engine together.  It's likely the reason it got stripped in the first place.  Another trick too is instead of mounting them to the radiators, I just use zip ties.  Zips break before they rip plastic, so it's worked out quite well.  I've had to replace them from time to time, but zip ties are a cheaper way to go. :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

I wrote a piece or two on the subject that pretty much explained it all and I agree, epoxy is the way to go, and there's no need to tighten those bolts like it's holding the engine together.  It's likely the reason it got stripped in the first place.

Mine was seized and spun out trying to remove it after I bought the bike used. Probably brass/steel corrosion. All the others were just tight enough, and came out easily. Some folks say just leave the shrouds on the tank when you pull it and avoid the problem altogether.

Mine was seized and spun out trying to remove it after I bought the bike used. Probably brass/steel corrosion. All the others were just tight enough, and came out easily. Some folks say just leave the shrouds on the tank when you pull it and avoid the problem altogether.

That's true too, corrosion plays a big part too.  I've seen it before, more like oxidation.  I lug the damn screws on the tank when I put them in and just hand tighten them.  On the front mounts, instead of attaching them to the radiator frames, I just use zip ties.  My way of figuring is if it rips off, at least the ties will break before and damage occurs on the radiators and or frames. :devil: