Sign in to follow this  

1976 XL250: smoke coming from crankcase vent tube + kicker question

Got the XL250 out for its first highway run. We'll be trying to go as many miles as we can in 24 hours on this thing in a couple of weeks. Total budget cannot exceed $500.

1512341_10152383655264181_52366492712644

15/45 gearing let me cruise at around 70 mph most of the time. I discovered that our "minor" oil leak is actually pretty major - used a quart of oil in 90 miles, and that's about how far I was able to go until I had to switch to reserve. Not nearly as good of gas mileage as I'd expected but it's probably due to the high revs? I was able to pull over & put some oil in, but there is a little smoke coming out of crankcase vent. Blow-by? Rings? Ugh.

Also, the kicker spring is either busted or has come loose. Gotta take that apart tonight & have a look. Do these tend to fail like this? I'm not sure I understand how it could just break.

10277762_10152388810354181_3027041038655

So does anybody know if you can you take the top-end apart with the motor on the frame? Seems like you should be able to. If we can afford it, I'd like to at least throw some new rings on there and put some new gaskets on to try to stop this horrendous oil loss.

Edited by Tugboat56

90 miles per qt. Wow,,sounds more like ring issues. Might try a leak-down test.

And a old xl250 doing a constant 70 mph? Can't believe it didn't die,,lol

Edited by scalejockey

Got the XL250 out for its first highway run. We'll be trying to go as many miles as we can in 24 hours on this thing in a couple of weeks. Total budget cannot exceed $500.
1512341_10152383655264181_52366492712644

15/45 gearing let me cruise at around 70 mph most of the time. I discovered that our "minor" oil leak is actually pretty major - used a quart of oil in 90 miles, and that's about how far I was able to go until I had to switch to reserve. Not nearly as good of gas mileage as I'd expected but it's probably due to the high revs? I was able to pull over & put some oil in, but there is a little smoke coming out of crankcase vent. Blow-by? Rings? Ugh.

Also, the kicker spring is either busted or has come loose. Gotta take that apart tonight & have a look. Do these tend to fail like this? I'm not sure I understand how it could just break.
10277762_10152388810354181_3027041038655

So does anybody know if you can you take the top-end apart with the motor on the frame? Seems like you should be able to. If we can afford it, I'd like to at least throw some new rings on there and put some new gaskets on to try to stop this horrendous oil loss.

Hi,  Had about   2-3 them  XL 250s.  Sounds like your motor is  done.   You need to get the motor all rebuit to do that  70  mph. Think about  a oil cooler too for that motor. too. The kicker shift is done too. Replace is  always the best way.  You may need more cash for the motor.  Just fixing it   will not work. Good Luck. 

I had one and never had a rebuild till I sold it to my cousin and he ran the shit out of it and right before the compression went completly out it was also smoking from the crankcase vent tube and yea with that gearing it is easy to cruise at 70 mph as for the kicker I never had any problems like that with mine yes it is possible to take top end off without taking engine completly out