Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seal Direction Confusion

I know this has been covered... and I've looked through other threads here but for some reason this is causing me some grief.  Trying to stop forks from leaking on an 03 200 Mxc.  Can anyone look at this image and tell me which direction this seal should be installed?  i.e. Does the top of the seal in the picture (as it sits) face the oil or the dust seal?  Or can you explain general direction based off of the second image better??   Thanks for any help!!

T-SE-027.jpg

Oh, and for good or bad this is a Pivot Works brand fork seal (above). I'm replacing a set of Tusk (I think) seals as in the pic below:

tus_07_for_sea.jpg

In the first picture, this end should face down towards the dust seal.  The second picture shows the "inside" of the seal and this should face the inside of the fork.

Thanks!  I should have paid more (some.. any... !!) attention when I pulled them out   :facepalm:

I also just found this that talks about the "seal lips" and which way they always face ("they always point toward what your trying to keep IN. In this case, oil."):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564763

Hopefully I should be good to go now!