Sign in to follow this  

Clutch break in or too lean?

Hello TT drz friends. I installed a ebc clutch kit, an uncorked mrd/ssw pipe (shorty) and an iridium spark plug this weekend. Prior to this I was running a full fmf powerbomb q4. I also put the k&n filter on. Now I was running my jetting according to eddies Sea level settings on my brand new tt fcr39 kit. The bike ran great before had a hell of a bottom end pull. Now it seems to have lost its low end grunt. Kinda feel slippy and hesitant then wakes up in the mod range. Is it the new clutch breaking in or do I need to richen the mix a bit?

Hello TT drz friends. I installed a ebc clutch kit, an uncorked mrd/ssw pipe (shorty) and an iridium spark plug this weekend. Prior to this I was running a full fmf powerbomb q4. I also put the k&n filter on. Now I was running my jetting according to eddies Sea level settings on my brand new tt fcr39 kit. The bike ran great before had a hell of a bottom end pull. Now it seems to have lost its low end grunt. Kinda feel slippy and hesitant then wakes up in the mod range. Is it the new clutch breaking in or do I need to richen the mix a bit?

The arm-chair mechanic says check the obvious things first.

Is your clutch lever binding somehow?

Did you adjust or change anything?

Did you fuel up using an ancient gas can that made you say "It should be good!"?

Air filter plugged up?

Did you forget the choke on?

No my clutch and throttle cable were replaced in october I fully adjusted everything perfectly. I recently wanted to freshen up. The bike so I got some more goodies including the clutch kit. The original one was good I just wanted to put a new one in. It always grabbed nice. It still fine just taking off in first and gunning the throttle doesn't make my ass slide off the seat or want to pull my arms off like it used in that range. Maybe the fmf is just better in the bottom end for off road purposes. The mrd I believe Is designed for more of a top end sm but I could be wrong

No my clutch and throttle cable were replaced in october I fully adjusted everything perfectly. I recently wanted to freshen up. The bike so I got some more goodies including the clutch kit. The original one was good I just wanted to put a new one in. It always grabbed nice. It still fine just taking off in first and gunning the throttle doesn't make my ass slide off the seat or want to pull my arms off like it used in that range. Maybe the fmf is just better in the bottom end for off road purposes. The mrd I believe Is designed for more of a top end sm but I could be wrong

Could be,  me buddy used to have a drz with a FMF,  jetted and 3x3 and it was really strong on bottom,  that could be it. 

Yes that or the clutch Break in. Becai see e after maybe 100 miles or so and a gifted it was nice and hot on a 26 Ile highway run it seemed to grab better at the next traffic light. Gotta ride home after work and see if it stayed grabby. Maybe it was the break in. If not then it's the pipe.

After the 100 or so miles it felt better. Forgive the auto spell. I am also breaking it In with rotella 15w40. Switching back to 10w40 next service