Sign in to follow this  

shifting up while standing up.

I was just wondering if anyone else has trouble shifting up while standing. or if anyone has tips to make this easier. I don't want to move the shifter up any more or downshifting will be uncomfortable.

I had to move the shifter pretty high to get my boot under it. I do have to lift my foot to be able to step down on the shifter. I also rarely use the clutch on an upshift, slight pressure on the shifter then let off the throttle and it shifts nicely. Try moving the shifter up more and riding if you can't get your foot under it while standing. Good luck. Troy341

• Like 1

i like to position my shifter one notch above my peg for getting a boot under quickly and without too much effort,  it doesn't really matter where it is for downshifting.  IMO

• Like 2

I used to have this problem a while ago, whenever i stood up it felt wierd to shift. i wanted to correct this and i started to ride standing up all the time.

with a couple of rides youll get used to it, its all about getting comfortable and not having to pull your foot up to shift

Edited by mr.whiskeythrottle

I have been working on being better while standing,  I spend some time just riding around the yard slow have a few log piles and some good rocks ...not your typical back yard, seems to have helped some on the trails, just got out for the first time this year yesterday snow all but gone except in a very few isolated shaded spot.

Don't try to get boot under shifter, just try to shift with the inside of your big toe area. After some practice this technique works well.

• Like 1

Shifting while standing requires you to momentarily support all your weight on the right side footpeg while you lift your left foot from the footpeg to upshift (Opposite for right side shift bikes).  When you do this, your bike will want to lean to the right, so you'll need to anticipate this and place your right knee against the right side of the bike and  nudge it ever so slightly to the left to keep things going in a straight line, or the line you intend to follow.  Try this in an open area slowly to get the feel for it at first.  It will feel natural in no time.  Since your body weight is normally back for downshifting while braking, a technique which works well for me is to support the deceleration forces through the arches of your feet and momentarily shift all your weight to the right peg as you lift your foot to downshift.  This works great on steep downhills or during hard braking.  Often, a rider can keep his/her left foot on the peg during hard braking and shifting if his/her shift lever is high enough.  A higher shift lever has always worked well for me since it's normally necessary to remove one's foot from the peg to shift anyway (always during upshifts).  Keep a loose handlebar grip during standing upshifts and downshifts which forces your body into the correct center of balance and promotes a loose upper body for better control with less fatigue.  Grip the bike with your legs/knees instead which places your body weight on the footpegs for better bike handling/control.

Some riders try to keep their foot on the peg during standing upshifting, and for me, this would require an awkward shift lever position. Since it's normally best to ride on the balls of your feet when possible, it's easy to lift your foot from the peg during upshifts since your toes will naturally be pointing slightly down against acceleration forces through the pegs as your body weight is normally forward.  Look at still pictures of pro riders during standing shifting and you'll see their toes pointing downward. This toes-down foot position let's you easily get your foot under the shift lever for the correct upper foot position on the shift lever for a solid shift. 

During any upshifts, standing or sitting, lift the shift lever with your leg movement, not with your ankle movement.  You cannot do this correctly with your foot on the peg.

This works for me, and I stand almost all the time while riding.  I hope this helps.

• Like 2

i do not subscribe to the "must lift foot off peg to shift" theory.. nope.

but ya need GOOD BOOTS. Sidi crossfire for example. THey have to fit well, and be mildly flexible. Nearly all the best (and most expensive) boots are hinged. So they offer good flexibility for shifting and moving but still very sturdy the way they need to be.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Yeah I have a real problem with this. I rail a berm and I stand up then I have to jump to sit down and shift real quick and stand back up and it probably makes me look like a goon. I actually need help with this.