Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Mark--- Vitamin D and tendonitis ?

Dr. mark, I have had golfers elbow and tennis elbow in both elbows for over a year.  So bad sometimes that I can't lift a glass of water without pain  Ortho had me wear forearm bands, take NSAIDS and do a stretching/strenthening routine.  It has helped but has not been completely cleared up.  He now wants to do blood work to see if something else is wrong and mentioned a link to Vitamin D deficiency and tendonitis.  I read several things about new studies showing the 400iu RDA is way too low and current thinking is a much higher dosage is beneficial.  What are your thoughts?

Edited by rdalley

Vitamin D deficiency is common In the US population and is causative in many Orthopaedic problems, although I am not sure about tendonitis

I recommend 150.000IUs per week in those whose level are below 10ng/ml.  100,000IUs per week if the levels are between 10-20ng/ml, and 50.000IUs per week if the levels are between 20-20ng/ml.  Patients are instructed to keep on this regimen for eight weeks and then have their level retested.