Sign in to follow this  

2002 KTM 250 exc RFS brakes

I took my bike out this weekend after it sat for about 3-4 weeks to find out I barely have any pressure in my front brakes. They weren't great the last time i rode but I figured I just need either fluid or new pads. Although there was a significant decrease in pressure between rides? Im gonna replace the pads anyway but has anyone heard of this happening? Also do the EXC models all have the same pads for the brembo brakes? I ask this because finding parts for the 2002 models is difficult. 

tie the lever back to the bars with a zip tie overnite. Turn the bars to the left so the master cyl is the high point in the system, including the brake line-- if it loops up a little you will need to pull it down. The bike on the side stand is usually enuf lean over to make it the high point. You can speed the process by tapping on the line from bottom to top to get the air bubbles to rise. If it happens quickly again, and you have not crashed with the bike upside down, then you may need to rebuild the master cyl.

tie the lever back to the bars with a zip tie overnite. Turn the bars to the left so the master cyl is the high point in the system, including the brake line-- if it loops up a little you will need to pull it down. The bike on the side stand is usually enuf lean over to make it the high point. You can speed the process by tapping on the line from bottom to top to get the air bubbles to rise. If it happens quickly again, and you have not crashed with the bike upside down, then you may need to rebuild the master cyl.

Thanks. Should I do this while bleeding the brakes, I heard that tapping the caliper while bleeding the brakes helps get air out. I would rather try this first then rebuilding the master cylinder. 

try just the tie back first, it works most of the time. You can tap the line while bleeding too, but it wont do much.