Sign in to follow this  

Waking it up

So my motorhead is already whispering to me - mod it.....

but will enricheing it and better flowing pipe and 3X3 mod make that BIG of a difference.

Uncorking a XR650L does not do much- starts easier and idles cold and uses more gas.

Unclorking my XR250R was like night and day - from pathetic trial 90 feel to a banshee!

What is the DRZ like? if unclorked, Seems pretty nice stock!

'just' the 3X3 mod will give it much better response, to me thats worth it .. dumping another 5 grand into it to get more hp isnt, i'd rather get another bike ..

'just' the 3X3 mod will give it much better response, to me thats worth it .. dumping another 5 grand into it to get more hp isnt, i'd rather get another bike ..

5 grand…….maybe for a fully built stroker motor, even then that seems high.

You can get everything that 150ron mentioned for like 1800-2000 dollars. And most people don't do it all at once anyways, so it kinda gets spread out over a length of time.

The 3X3 mod, JD Jet kit with proper jetting and adjusted fuel screw, and a more free flowing pipe / muffler make a nice difference for the money.  It won't have the top end power that the FCR will give you, but it will be a noticeable difference for the better in the low to mid-range RPMs and you will still retain pretty decent fuel mileage.

• Like 1

5 grand…….maybe for a fully built stroker motor, even then that seems high.

You can get everything that 150ron mentioned for like 1800-2000 dollars. And most people don't do it all at once anyways, so it kinda gets spread out over a length of time.

i'd rather suggest a ktm/husaberg/something and the person looking for WOW power, get it. 

the drz works great as a reliable day-to-day machine, but this power quest is misplaced hope 

• Like 1

I went from stock to 3x3 and jet kit. Nice upgrade, little better response and it ran great... and then I threw on a pipe, fcr and hot cams. Big noticable difference. The carb is probably the biggest smile maker, no more hesitation when I turn my wrist, just fire breathing earth tearing happy happy fun time! (Dont expect 450 mx bike performance but I am quite impressed)

• Like 1

Hey MotosPrtMan,

If your are curious but don't want to make a permanent change, try removing the snorkel from your air box and see how that feels.  This is a very minimal change but please keep in mind that if you decide to leave it out, you should also consider rejetting.

I had a friend who bought their DRZ at the same time I bought mine.  When I removed the snorkel from my bike and my friend didn't, I could pull away from him in a drag race.  When we got home from our ride that day, we pulled his snorkel out.  Since then we both have done the 3x3 and rejetted our carbs.

Again, pulling the snorkel isn't much of a change but it will give you a feeling of letting the DRZ breath more.

:ride: