Sign in to follow this  

1983 XR250, needs valve adjust have questions

My buddy has an 83 XR250, it has a tab on the frame for a brake light switch, and a BLS on the front brake lever perch. Is it an XR250L, or did the XR250Rs have that stuff back then? Anyway, we looked under the valve covers last eve and I noticed something very odd. First off the bike won't rev, and the carby leaks a bit but the valve train is very noisy. And yes, it still has the stock entire compression release. We looked under the valve covers to see what was up and the rear rocker arm can be lifted about a quartyer inch up from the top of the valves when it is not on the open cycle...&%$#@!??? Is this normal, or has something gone terribly wrong witht eh head? So basically, there is no way we know of to set lash since the rear rocker will openj to like a quarter inch clearence when on the round side of the camshaft.....

EDit, I think it is an XL250R, it looked like this, (this model) but is now in a state of semi disrepair.

1983-honda-xl250r-2-2-865x570.jpg

Edited by KevinsXR

A quarter inch is not normal.

I would loosen the decompression setup to be sure it is not engaging while you adjust the valves to .003" intake and .004" exhaust at TDC with cam lobes facing down.  I find TDC by pulling the spark plug and using a piece of wire to feel when the piston comes up.  This is plenty accurate for valve adj. and cam ti

You need to adjust the valves when the engine is cold.

Re-adjust the decomp or leave it loose.