Sign in to follow this  

So, been riding a lot lately!

But only because I have been unemployed. I quit my last good job I had had for 20 years to start a new job in retail only to be LIED to about the money, and hours, and well, pretty much everything! I'll put it this way, NEVER work for Conn's!!! Anyway, I am waiting to hear from the city to start my new job FAR FAR away from sales so am happy with that! I'tll be a dream come true to get out of sales!

Anyway on the riding, My XR400R is plated, and running killer as ever but I have noticed a few things I need to do. Lower it with a link, seat cut down and remove the spacers I stuck in the forks. I also need new tyres and will get away from knobbies since I never ride it serriously off road since I got it plated and will eventually go to a full supermoto set up anyway. But for the time nbeing till I can scrimp and save for a SUMO set up, I am going to do a sportsmans set up.

good on ya mate... good to hear about the new job prospects and lots of riding...

there was an xr400 2006 ?? jap SM xr on ebay last week... love to have one of those for the twisties around here !!

out of curiosity, what is a 'sportsman' set up ??

good on ya mate... good to hear about the new job prospects and lots of riding...

there was an xr400 2006 ?? jap SM xr on ebay last week... love to have one of those for the twisties around here !!

out of curiosity, what is a 'sportsman' set up ??

Sportsmans set up is a cheap way of supermotoing a bike. Means you just set up the suspension for street and throw on a set of tyres that are either street tyres in 21 and 18in, or throw on a set of tyres that are more street oriented.

Sportsmans class is actually a racing series. Or was. don't know if it's still around. But like he said, street tires on the stock wheels. Gives you 80%? of the feel of motarding without forking over the dough for the wheels.  Many (most, myself included) yield to the peer pressure and hype of the 17" wheels at some point.  I've had 4 and have 1 now.  For most road riding, sportsman is more than enough.  I think 17" wheels look too tiny on a long suspension dirbike.  Had a 19" built for the front of my streetified XR350 and it looks more proportioned IMO. Lot more customs using 18 and 19" fronts now.