Sign in to follow this  

Does losing weight effect your riding?

Does losing weight effect your riding? I am working to drop 30 lbs and was just wondering what you guys and gals have noticed relative to riding or is it noticeable?

Bikes.jpg

The laws of physics says less weight = easier to change direction.

I dropped two pounds from the top of my xr50 and noticed a big difference in the ability to flick it around.

• Like 1

Does losing weight effect your riding? I am working to drop 30 lbs and was just wondering what you guys and gals have noticed relative to riding or is it noticeable?

I reckon the only negative is that it could throw out your suspension settings.

youll find its alot easyer to move around on the bike and change body position, you wont get as tired as fast either

• Like 2

I was losing a little weight when I started riding (260). I lost 30 in three months after I started. The bike worked me out way harder than I would work myself in a gym. Now I have more endurance, I don't get arm pump as quickly, and my knees and elbows feel better than they have in years. I wonder if I could write the bike off as physical therapy
  • Like 2

I was losing a little weight when I started riding (260). I lost 30 in three months after I started. The bike worked me out way harder than I would work myself in a gym. Now I have more endurance, I don't get arm pump as quickly, and my knees and elbows feel better than they have in years. I wonder if I could write the bike off as physical therapy

I never thought of that one. Instead of telling my wife I’m going riding ill just say that I’m going to work out! What wife would prevent her husband from “working out”J

I might even have to place an order for more work out equipment!

• Like 2

I never thought of that one. Instead of telling my wife I’m going riding ill just say that I’m going to work out! What wife would prevent her husband from “working out”J

I might even have to place an order for more work out equipment!

It's a slippery slope :devil:

I have wanted a bike all my life, but just got to the point in my life where I could get the one I really wanted. That was back in November. I was in the worst shape of my life, and had been having problems with my knees, elbows, and shoulders for 2 years. I didn't buy the bike with the intention of using it to get back into shape, but that's exactly what happened. The first few rides, my legs would hurt so bad the next day that I could barely walk, but when the burning went away, my joints felt better. I am noticing muscle development in my knees and shoulders, as well as having dropped down to 230. At 6'2, I'm ok with that weight, but by the end of the summer I could be below 220 for the first time in 15 years. And just like slammedmind said, dropping the weight definitely made body positioning much easier. I shift around, and go from sitting to standing, much more frequently and easily than I did in the beginning

Weight loss helps more than you can imagine. Not just with riding but life in general. I weighed 230 in January and now weigh about 195. I hadn't ridden the entire time and this past weekend I finally got a chance to get out to the track. I can ride longer and harder then ever before. My cardiovascular fitness is much better and as others have said sitting and standing and gripping the bike comes much easier now. I still get arm pump after a while though, no workout I do can compete with riding.

Keep up the good work, it will be worth it when you hit your goal!

Definitely! We went from sex twice a week to nearly every day. Losing FAT increases testosterone levels, as does working out large muscles in the body. Talk about a libido boost!

...um...did you mean improve your motorcycle riding? Works for that too.   :blush:

• Like 1

Down 5 lbs 25 to go!

Get your doctor to tell you that if you eat another baked potato, you will have a stroke. Works like a champ

Definitely! We went from sex twice a week to nearly every day. Losing FAT increases testosterone levels, as does working out large muscles in the body. Talk about a libido boost!

...um...did you mean improve your motorcycle riding? Works for that too. :blush:

I did mean that but now I have additional motivation!

im down from 312 to 285 ish and i notice the bikes front end gets a bit ligther coming out the corners so i have to ride mroe forward. took 1 month to get used to the diet (paleo) and get my energy levels to norm then  been riding almost daily for the past week (even though my arms can only take 15-20 minutes at a time) i make sure ot push myself. Keep it up!

• Like 2

I went from 210lb last season to 175lb this season (35lb weight loss). The difference is night and day. Last year after a couple hours of riding I was utterly exhausted for 2-3 days after. Now I can ride all day unphased. Last year I would get arm pump within minutes, this year I don't get it at all. I feel WAY more agile on the bike and can far more easily shift my weight around. I have more strength and find it way easier to grip with my knees and relax my hands. With all the extra weight last year it always felt like it took everything I had to hold on if I was standing and accelerating the bike. My gear fits better. My confidence is higher. When I fall it doesn't hurt as much, and I heal faster...

The only thing is my bike handles WAY differently at speed. Once I hit over 100km/h on gravel the bike goes into a loose side to side wobble. I guess a suspension tuning is in order. However I am LOVING the way it handles at lower speeds in the trails, and I've got another 15lbs to lose, so I'm not in a huge hurry to change it...

Went from 220lbs to 150lbs and im 5'8". I get cold easily and my ZRX 1200 seems to have alot more power.