Sign in to follow this  

Just wanted to share my experience...

So just as the title states, I just wanted to share my experience with you guys as to how the process of enhancing the characteristics that I liked with the RMZ motor and getting rid of the ones that I did not went for me.

As you all know I spent a lot of money on the Yosh motor for my 12', and have not been happy with the results. It ran like a national style motor so it lost some of its spirit down low but hit like a freight train just above the half way point and revved forever. I am not fast enough to benefit from a motor wiht such characteristics so I enrolled the help of The Moto Lab. After talking with a few other builders I weighed my options on what to do with the spare motor that I picked up. I ended up just doing porting, HC piston 13.5:1, custom cams, and beefed up the valves, springs, etc because I already knew exactly what I wanted out of the motor. I wanted more top end but didn't want to lose too much down low. Basically I wanted the bike to rev further as well as beef it up throughout the entire rev range a tad while holding onto the way the stock motor delivered its power soooo smoothly from bottom to top, while still being able to run my fuel of choice (50/50 Cam2 110/ Pump 93) without it affecting performance of the RMZ motor by running too rich.

Anyways, instead of messing with the PIM anymore the choices were narrowed down to the PC5, Vortex, and the stock ECU. In the end I decided to send my stock ECU off the The Moto Lab to have it reprogrammed. I don't remember the exact changes made (Maybe Tom will chime in) but there were changes made to both the fuel and timing throughout the entire RPM range. All I have to say is HOLY CRAP! The motor flat out rips without so much as a hiccup anywhere. It comes on like the stock motor (which was one of the main reasons I chose yellow) but rev's faster and MUCH longer than before. I'm not sure at what RPM the rev limiter kicks in but the thing just keeps pulling for days! It has more power than I will ever use yet pulls soooooo smooth! It's a dream to ride!

For anyone that wants to enhance the performance of the RMZ without breaking the bank on a fuel programmer that allows ignition changes as well as the fuel mapping changes I suggest sending the stock ECU out over the other choices. It made a night and day difference! As an added benefit, the bike started first kick cold, it still starts first kick when warm but never did I think the RMZ would start on the first kick after sitting for over a week.

All in all I am pretty pumped about the way the bike runs now and I can honestly say that I have not been this excited about the bike since the day I brought it home from the dealer! This is the first time that I can honestly say I am 100% happy with the motor. It's been over an hour since I took a few quick loops through the woods on the bike and I am still smiling ear to ear! 

DSCN0631_zps3394cdef.jpg

DSCN0632_zps3369278c.jpg

• Like 3

Just curious, did you run the stock motor with the reprogrammed ECU?  Or was the HC piston, cams and reprogrammed ECU all done together?

I'm wondering if there is a benefit to having The Moto Lab reprogram the ECU on a stock motor.

No to the stock motor... the problem was that I had the modded Yosh motor and couldn't get it to run right no matter what I did with the mapping so I got rid of it. 

Picked up a worn out stock motor dirt cheap that needed a little work and went ahead and got the mod's done that I wanted. I sent the ECU out before I had the motor built so I didn't even get to try the stock ECU with the freshened stock motor. I just told Tom exactly what mod's I was having done, which fuel I was going to run and how I wanted the bike to run and he did the rest. 

Going off of everything that I have learned throughout this process I would say with 100% certainty that the ECU being reprogrammed would be beneficial with the stock motor. It would be no different than changing to a PIM or swapping the couplers around except for getting precise ignition and fuel delivery based on your specific application and style.

Edited by BDubb106

Bdubb, my engine and efi are ecompletely stock.  I do not know anything about maps and programs, but how does it help?  Starting, throttle control?  I have a Ducati 848 street bike I had programmed after an exhaust system was installed, and it eliminated the popping on decel, but I dont understand the importance to the rmz?  Perhaps I am not sensative enough to notice these things.

Bike looks great btw

Edited by LSeca

Bdubb, my engine and efi are ecompletely stock.  I do not know anything about maps and programs, but how does it help?  Starting, throttle control?  I have a Ducati 848 street bike I had programmed after an exhaust system was installed, and it eliminated the popping on decel, but I dont understand the importance to the rmz?  Perhaps I am not sensative enough to notice these things.

Bike looks great btw

Both... you would not believe how much it smooths out as well as strengthens the power delivery. He can clean up both the fuel delivery and the ignition timing to make the bike run as clean as possible. There are no break ups anywhere in the RPM range, I am talking from 500 RPM all the way to 13-14 ,000 or wherever the rev limiter is set. It is just flat out amazing. 

Also, my RMZ sat for over a week after I got the motor back together due to not having the ECU and fired up first kick after the reprogram. I believe it was something like 17% less fuel at idle he said as well as ignition advancement. Can't remember if he took away or added fuel up top but also advanced timing there.

• Like 2

Bike looks great btw

This is kind of what I was getting at too...  I have a Dobeck on mine, which controls the amount of fuel the bike gets, but doesn't change the power curve at all, so I'm curious as to what I could potentially change or improve with a custom map.

The current RMZ's seem to be mapped pretty dang good, and can be changed to suite your style or the track with the couplers.  Do the couplers still work after a motolab remap?

My CRF though - that bike was horrible stock, having ESR re-map that was a night and day change.  

• Like 1

This is kind of what I was getting at too...  I have a Dobeck on mine, which controls the amount of fuel the bike gets, but doesn't change the power curve at all, so I'm curious as to what I could potentially change or improve with a custom map.

The current RMZ's seem to be mapped pretty dang good, and can be changed to suite your style or the track with the couplers.  Do the couplers still work after a motolab remap?

My CRF though - that bike was horrible stock, having ESR re-map that was a night and day change.  

I'm not sure if they still work or not. The bike is so crisp I am not even going to bother messing with it. It should auto correct enough for temp and altitude. The one thing it cannot do is account for mods. 

You can do pretty much anything with the power curve if you find a tuner that knows what they are doing. Honestly it is such a major improvement I wouldn't hesitate to do it for $50.

Yeah Toms the man! He helps a lot of people out on here! He offered to help me with my suspension that's one reason I sent it to him. Can't wait to ride with his mods on the track! Prices are reasonable and he's there for advice. Thank you Moto867!

• Like 1

Dang son! $50? That's sick.. do they reflash 2013 Rmz250 models?

I would imagine so... just give him a call and he will hook you up. Tom is a super easy guy to work with and even took the time at 10pm to give me the full run down of exactly what he changed. Super knowledgeable guy! 

He's a one man operation... His site may not be all that great but the guy does quality work and knows his stuff! Give him a call and talk to him. He can give you the run down.

• Like 1

I have talked to Tom a few times on here over the years. About a month ago I called him on the phone to pick his brain about my TB and other things with the bike......

First of all he is a class act....a real gentleman with a passion for this stuff - great guy to talk to. He is an absolute fountain of knowledge about this bike. I have talked to many builders tuners etc over the years and honestly after spending all that time discussing the bike I don't feel that there is anyone else that I would send my stuff to. When you talk with him you will see that he is serious about each customer and its not like a revolving door. I just want to go hang out with him and learn haha!

Yah once I tear mine down he will be getting a visit from me.

Edited by mikerides33
  • Like 3

Ya, sorry about the website guys. Its not my forte and honestly i just dont have much time to play with it. Its 12:30 am and im still in the shop rebuilding a motor. Any way, thanks for the positive comments. Brians particular map was tailored to his setup and fuel type. Its suited for hotter weather so now and in the fall he can run the rich coupler and yes they make a dif even after its remapped. I added 2 degrees of timing throughout and a bit less fuel off idle into the lower mid,about 4000 rpm. Its stock up to about 6000 then at about 50%-75% throttle from 6000-9000 its 15% richer, then above that at wfo its 10% richer.

• Like 5

I have talked to Tom a few times on here over the years. About a month ago I called him on the phone to pick his brain about my TB and other things with the bike......

First of all he is a class act....a real gentleman with a passion for this stuff - great guy to talk to. He is an absolute fountain of knowledge about this bike. I have talked to many builders tuners etc over the years and honestly after spending all that time discussing the bike I don't feel that there is anyone else that I would send my stuff to. When you talk with him you will see that he is serious about each customer and its not like a revolving door. I just want to go hang out with him and learn haha!

Yah once I tear mine down he will be getting a visit from me.

Just wondering has Tom done some work for you? If so could you describe what work and what were your thoughts on it? Thanks always nice to here other opinions on work performed

• Like 1

I'm sorry Todd if I mislead you. I got excited to share my positive experiences w Tom so far. As I said I will be sending him my stuff when I tear it down and when funds allow. In the meantime I will probably ask him to do my ECU and clean my TB. Is that cool Tom?! When this happens I will deliver them personally and I will be sure to share my experience.

Did it sound silly to rave about a guy who hasn't actually done work for me? It might have but I just never had someone spend an hour on the phone with me talking about the bike and I got amped to tell about it.

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud how cool would it be to have us all somehow meet up in a central location for a weekend of riding tuning? Gary Brian Jake and everyone here have the RMZ gathering. I wish I was a wealthy man it would be so cool to get everybody lodgings and setup to ride and tune..... And eat! Take some footage and pics...post them up.

Edited by mikerides33
  • Like 4

That would be really cool! I've always wanted to do a TT meet up anyways.

Don't feel bad about being excited about that. I spent a good deal of time talking to Tom on the phone as well and it was even late at night when most guys are sitting in the recliner and done for the day. He answered every one of my stupid questions and shared a ton of knowledge with me. Never before have I had customer service like that, or had a tuner that was so dedicated to each and every customer. Maybe if my name was James Stewart I would have gotten that treatment from Yoshimura but it is not and I did not receive that treatment. It was a breath of fresh air to know that when I spend money on my bike that someone will go above and beyond to make sure that I will be 100% happy with it and actually take the time to explain exactly what changes they made. Tom made me feel like a factory rider even if only for that one day, told me I could call him any time day or night on that particular day and we talked about my specific set up for quite a while. He even took the time to explain as to why I could not find that "happy place" with my current set up.

It was just an overall pleasant experience!

• Like 1

You said it all Brian. After getting the runaround from a few different companies it was indeed a breath of fresh air exchanging PMs and talking on the phone with Tom.

Don't get nervous Tom haha!

• Like 2