Sign in to follow this  

IMS 4.0Gal Tank w/stock Petcock

Anyone done this?  Your experiences?  I know that some say that you should get the Raptor petcock when installing a new tank....in other words not use the stock petcock.

I have the IMS and I'm pretty sure I have the stock petcock, I bought the bike used with the tank so in not %100 sure. From what I can tell there are no issues although I haven't gotten into serous riding yet. What sorts of problems would there be?

You mean this tank?  Yep, it works with the stock, WR400 or Pingle petcock.

th_25-5-Ride1.jpg

The factory petcock will fail eventually. Most folks use a tank upgrade as an opportunity to prevent a flooded crankcase (full of fuel). The raptor is a true on/off/res petcock that fits the IMS tank nicely. I put one on mine a couple months ago and once I got the gasket sorted out it has worked great and I have no worries about the seal failing and draining into the cylinder.

I have had the stock petcock on my IMS tank for over 20000 miles with zero issues.

What I understand is that the stock petcock has two lines running from the tank.  Did you plug that other line or what ?

This is the pic of the stock petcock on my ims tank

Thanks for the pic.  Where does that other hose go to....the black one on the R that seems to be going up...?

Thanks for the pic.  Where does that other hose go to....the black one on the R that seems to be going up...?

the little hose is the vacuum line .It goes on top of the carb.There is a nipple on top of my carb by the throttle cables that the hose goes on.

Edited by turn8a