Sign in to follow this  

Showa-woods rider

If I changed the pressure spring to a lower rate-NOTHING MORE- what would be the result? I ride in the woods only, no mx. Thanks

You would have a lower spring rate

• Like 1

Overall, not just on the rocks, roots etc? I am trying to find better compliance on roots especially in tight conditions.  Thanks Mog.

Edited by YHGEORGE

From what I have read it lowers the overall rate , it does have a slightly different influence at the end of the travel than the start , but it's fairly linear in the big scheme of things

I ran the lowest pressure spring on my rmz and it made the forks very plush on small chop. Be aware when you bleed the cartridges the rod doesn't extend fully like it does with stock ics springs. It stops about 1 1/4 inch before fully extended. With .44s and check plate mid the trail trash was non existent and so was any feel for the front end. But it did work really well in slow technical stuff.

I run 1.76 in a 02 450R and a 06 450X and it takes away the initial hits that used to beat me to death , it did this for off-road as well as on the track  , my R on the track used to kill me when i hit stutter bumps , now i just ride over them  , i also ride it off-road , it is night and day difference to me  , i run 0.49 in the R and 0.52 in the X i weigh 205 without gear , my X (off-road only) , is like a Cadillac now (i did some re-valving on both bikes as well *Gold Valve Kits ,365cc oil in outer*)  , but aside from re-valving which helped a lot but did not take it all away , the lighter Pressure Springs made the biggest change as far as initial hits  , its fun to ride again !

Edited by 450XJimDirt
  • Like 1

I run 1.76 in a 02 450R and a 06 450X and it takes away the initial hits that used to beat me to death , it did this for off-road as well as on the track  , my R on the track used to kill me when i hit stutter bumps , now i just ride over them  , i also ride it off-road , it is night and day difference to me  , i run 0.49 in the R and 0.52 in the X i weigh 205 without gear , my X (off-road only) , is like a Cadillac now (i did some re-valving on both bikes as well *Gold Valve Kits ,365cc oil in outer*)  , but aside from re-valving which helped a lot but did not take it all away , the lighter Pressure Springs made the biggest change as far as initial hits  , its fun to ride again !

Good info, thanks. Did you use the standard/suggested RT settings or home brew?  

Do you mean with the valving  ??  , if so then i started with their setup then went completely different , it took me a few tries to get it how i wanted it   , on my 450X i ended up doing a "Endurocross" setup  , very light valving but with bottoming resistance and stiffer springs than required for my weight (2 sizes stiffer than required) to hold the bike up in the stroke (i require 0.49 , i use 0.52) , shock is a matched setup but with stock spring

For my R , i went with a self  , with the help of theDogger , (450R Do it yourself Re-Valve topic .... http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/327668-diy-04-450-suspension-re-valve/  )  made setup  , i talked to him on the phone a few times and he helped me get some issues i had figured out , its now a great combo of MX ability while still being plush , but works very well off-road with just clicker adjustments , 0.49 springs , shock is a RT setup with stock spring

Edited by 450XJimDirt

If you can do your own valving , or want to learn how to do it better , talk to theDogger  , if he (Brian) cant help you figure out a valving setup , no one can !

Edited by 450XJimDirt
  • Like 1