Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about buying a yz250f to flip it

A decent looking 250f has come up on craigslist in the last couple days. Thinking about picking it up to flip for a quick profit. Needs a new top end which i fine because i already have the cylinder laying on my bench in the garage at home. I'm worried about holding on to this forever waiting for it to sell. I'm not really in the position right now where I can hold on to it for months while i try and sell it. I figure i get the bike and have it running for about $1000 and throw it up on cl for 2100 and sell for 2000 to make a quick thou. Any thoughts?

Tough to say. You didn't say what year the bike is, how much you plan to pay for it, or really anything else about the bike.

Not a lot of money to be had flipping that.  Around here 2 stroke bikes don't go for much. even with tons of goodies and such.  Guess it depends on location. he may be asking that much for it due to money problems, or he knows it's not worth a lot...  maintenance/condition/location/market.  If you're wrong, you will be breaking even, losing money, or having another bike in your garage.

250f are not good used bikes. They are beaten into the ground and then some. You will inevitably lose money unless you have the hook up on parts and can do the work yourself. Street bikes and cars are the best to flip in my opinion. I won't even buy used bikes anymore. Too risky for me. If you get one from a dealership that's legitmate but from owner it's pretty sketchy. Bad experiences.

I have a good mech who already sai he will do the work. I trust him with my other bikes. His son is a local pro so they definitely know hat they are doing. I have a complete top end for the bike already sitting in my garage it just needs put together. I'm just on the edge about it i guess

Can't seem to sell this cylinder I have laying around.  I should buy a broken bike, put the cylinder on the bike and then sell that.

Solid plan, go for it.

Can't seem to sell this cylinder I have laying around. I should buy a broken bike, put the cylinder on the bike and then sell that.

Solid plan, go for it.

Never said the cylinder was for sale. It is the oem out of my bike before I went with a 270 kit.

I'm worried about holding on to this forever waiting for it to sell.

I thought you were talking about the cylinder here.  oops.

Have you disclosed to your mechanic that you intend to flip the bike and they are cool with doing work for your profit?  Or are you paying them, which will make it harder for you to profit from this deal.

You should think about selling the top end set you have if you don't want it.  Offer it to the guy with the bike for sale, or list it and maybe someone else will see blown 250F and top end on the same page.  No $1000 investment, no work.

I thought you were talking about the cylinder here. oops.

Have you disclosed to your mechanic that you intend to flip the bike and they are cool with doing work for your profit? Or are you paying them, which will make it harder for you to profit from this deal.

You should think about selling the top end set you have if you don't want it. Offer it to the guy with the bike for sale, or list it and maybe someone else will see blown 250F and top end on the same page. No $1000 investment, no work.

I've already talked to my mech. He is fine with me flipping it he knows I'm a repeat customer and as log as he is getting paid he could care less what i do with the bike. He said we would be right around 400 after the rebuild, which after I get the bike and have it fixed i will be around 1000-1200.

I had not thought about selling the cylinder. Might look into that. Dunno how much profit i will make off a used one though

You still haven't said what year the bike is. If it's a 2014 there is tons of profit to be made if you can have it running for $1200. If it's a 2001 than it is only worth about $1200 in running condition. It's hard to give advice without details like that.

here is what will happen:

you THINK you will buy it for a good price.

you WILL spend way to much fixing the broken stuff.

you WONT sell it as fast as you thought

you WONT make any money on it or very little

I have flipped a few bikes in the last couple years. Normally my profit is $400-$600. One thing to remember, bikes never just need a top end. I have yet to buy a used bike that did not have at least a suspension issue (leaking seals, bad bearings, etc), needed chain/sprockets, needed new plastics, radiator, bent bars, bent rim, worn out brakes, or any combo of these issues. My rule of thumb is when I look at a bike I run the numbers in my head for what I see it needs right away, then double that number. I have found this estimate is normally pretty close when all is said and done.

If you know the bike sells for $2000 in good condition, and you see it needs $400 in repairs just looking at it. I take the price I would sell it for ($2000), subtract a realistic profit ($500), and subtract double what the immediate repairs appear to be ($400*2=$800). If I couldn't get it for $700 or less then there is not enough room for profit in it for me. You have to factor in what you are going to pay your mechanic as well. I do all my own mechanic work so that's where I make my profit.

You have to be realistic about how much the bike will really sell for as well. Will the bike really sell for $2000 when you are done with it? Here are three I flipped in the last year:

2008 YZ250F sold for $2200 (profited $600)

003-5.jpg

2009 KX250F sold for $2500 (profited $400)

022_zps9148325c.jpg

2007 YZ250 sold for $2500 (profited $500)

004_zps9b1c3eed.jpg

Typically I rebuild the motors, suspension, new plastics, new grips and levers, new tires, new chain/sprockets, new brakes, and grease all bearings. I keep all of the receipts and the old parts removed and give them to the buyer.

Edited by KJ790

Well I just went and looked at that bike I am definately not getting it the only good thing that I see on the bike was at the front forks don't leak that bike had a rough life

You guys were right I would have to put at least $2000 in that bike to get it in acceptable shape in order for me to sell it not going to happen