Is a 2004 RMZ 250 a good buy?

As I recall you had to remove the header to change out the oil filter on this Su-saki. :bonk:

Don't let the 250F haters scare you away from a 250F. If you can find a low hour (under 200 hours) YZ250F that was maintained - it will be a good bike. I've ridden a few 125s and would take a 250F off road every day. Yes, that's my personal opinion.

Full disclosure: I weigh 250 lbs. Physics can't help the 125 for me. I ride a 300cc two stroke like a 300cc two stroke.

If you can find a low hour (under 200 hours) YZ250F that was maintained - it will be a good bike.

Yeah, it probably will be. Except that you won't find one for $1500 or less and if you do, there's a 85% chance that the craigslist add is all lies. It's risky to find a used 250f and that's the problem. You have to maintain them right all of the time and not abuse them and if you don't, they're (sometimes even literally) ticking time bombs.

You have to spend money on one to get a decent one and even then, sometimes that is not enough. I bought a low hour yz250f a few years ago and that didn't help keep the motor together. 

IMO if you're on a limited budget, a 250f is not for you. If you can't do all of the work yourself, a 250f is not for you. 450's are a little better as they're not as high strung or high revving and they don't see as much rev limiter but still, if you buy a cheap craigslist 250f your asking for it. 

• Like 1