Sign in to follow this  

FMF repair

Bought this locally.  Didn't see the giant ass crack in it till I got home.

Now I know the body of the muffler (FMF Turbine core 2) is aluminum. But is this piece steel where it's cracked? If so I can weld it..

If not, I guess JB weld will have to do as I have a ride coming up and not enough money to order a new one before then.  I sent a message to dude I bought it from but didn't hear back, guess a refund is out of the question :\

CAM00930.jpg

That's an easy weld fix.  Have it welded by a professional if you're just a novice welder yourself.  That crack won't break you considering it's fixable.  If you need to use it before you can have it welded, then patch it up with what ever, but do get it fixed (welded).  It's not that bad unless you over paid for it.  Aluminum is tricky and is why I say have it "professionally" welded.  The cost to have some one do it shouldn't go beyond $40.  If you're not sure what part of it is steel and aluminum, use a magnet to check.  Magnet doesn't stick to aluminum, but does to steel.  I just checked my CR500 which also has a FMF, and that particular insert is actually made of steel and not aluminum.  Hope it all works out, let us know how it goes. :devil:

I can weld and own a lincoln mig machine (setup on flux, tho).  So welding it shouldn't be a problem. I totally forgot about the magnet trick haha. Thanks man.

Was going for an AWS cert a few years back, but decided welding isn't something I want to do for a living... Maybe part of a job, but not the main source...  My welder sits more than it gets used, but sure does come in handy.  I've had to replace floor pans, exhausts on my rigs, and even built a 24ft tandem axle trailer with it. 

I've had that exact thing happen on my 80 several years back. It'll affect performance if it gets bigger. I wish I was smarter when I was 12 than now, otherwise I'd have the same thing done.

Good luck with it, hope all goes well and you don't get hurt on your ride.

I've had that exact thing happen on my 80 several years back. It'll affect performance if it gets bigger. I wish I was smarter when I was 12 than now, otherwise I'd have the same thing done.

Good luck with it, hope all goes well and you don't get hurt on your ride.

Hey,

Thanks a lot man.  I appreciate that.  First ride I took on my CR125 last year I fell in 10 minutes and broke my foot in two places.  I now have riding boots, chest protector etc.  I have a 99KX250 I ride now. I fell twice on that on the first big ride (Mind you, when I fall its always going a mile an hour... lol).  First spill I took, It would have demolished my foot had it not been for the boots. Never again will I ride without proper riding boots.

I have the next 5 days off from work.  I'll get to welding tonight and see what happens. I know its steel, but not sure if chromed or stainless steel. not setup for stainless :(  So, maybe some quick zaps with the flux wire would do it. 

Rubberside down buddy!

If you can't weld it, take out the packing and use a wire brush to quickly clean the crack. Use some JB weld or other high temp silicone and it should hold for a good while as long as you don't land on it if you fall or something.

Strangely, the only time I've ever fallen is when I go to a stop lol. Doesn't happen much now because I actually fit on the bike, but I always did it when I was short.

Don't get over your head or above your riding ability and you will make it out alright as long as you aren't struck by another rider, which I've had happen and seen multiple times.

The two second rule applies to dirtbikes too.

• Like 1