Sign in to follow this  

FMF repair

Alright.

Well i bought this and didn't see it until I got home and was polishing the housing. The housing is made of aluminum, that much I know. But this pipe piece.. The pipe I believe is steel that is chromed, what about this housing piece that is cracked? I think it is steel too, anyone know for sure?  I can weld it if so...  If not, I can't weld aluminum (not setup for it).

Maybe JB weld it..  Sucks the crack is so big.  Haven't heard back from seller, so Guessing a refund is out of the question.

CAM00930.jpg

You can weld it but I'd recommend stitch welds so it doesn't get the pipe hotter than necessary and make it more prone to rusting or melting through it.

You can weld it but I'd recommend stitch welds so it doesn't get the pipe hotter than necessary and make it more prone to rusting or melting through it.

yeah for sure. Wasn't planning on running one big fat long bead lol.  Spot weld.. A quick zap this side, quick zap far side... Letting it cool and such.  Thin metal warps and distorts easy.  Try welding J-tin (like 70s datsun metal.. )

Another good option would be brazing it if you can't get it cleaned up nice. And not sure how many hrs that silencer has but I'd definately repack it. Fmf recommends atleast repack every 10 hrs or so on a bike with wear (oil clogs the packing)

Another good option would be brazing it if you can't get it cleaned up nice. And not sure how many hrs that silencer has but I'd definately repack it. Fmf recommends atleast repack every 10 hrs or so on a bike with wear (oil clogs the packing)

Have new packing ready to go on once this is done. Tho, it's been used and the original packing was inside and just fine.  I will weld it on the inside, since pressure will be going in the pipe and pushing outwards..  Maybe even just tack it in a few spots to keep it from spreading anymore and then fill it with some JB.  It's going to be hidden, not concerned with looks as much as reliability and function.

Let me know if ya can how easy it comes appart. I heard they can be a pain in the ___ . Mine is due soon and I'm a little nervous. Lol Ty

Let me know if ya can how easy it comes appart. I heard they can be a pain in the ___ . Mine is due soon and I'm a little nervous. Lol Ty

I already got it apart. For the turbine core 2, just pull the three allen heads off the pipe side (don't drill the rivets or remove that stuff, its just for the spark arrestor.. leave that one alone).

You grab ahold of the pipe, give it some taps around the end where you removed the screws with a rubber mallot/hammer.  Then you smack the brackets that hold it to the bike in a downward stroke.  It will make the casing slide down off the end piece.. Done deal.  I used a razor to cut the original packing off. Was actually pretty easy.  Use a wire brush on the tube to clean out all the holes (tho mine was clean). Re-wrap, tape it so it doesn't come apart and slide it back in.  Before you put it all the way back in. You need to run some red high temp RTV around the end cap before you slide it in to make a solid seal.  Done deal.

Really its like a 10 minute job of its already off.

New packing

CAM00934.jpg

Line it up

CAM00935.jpg

Lay a bead

CAM00936.jpg

Smoosh it out a little to make sure its all the way around

CAM00937.jpg

Don't push on the pipe. use the flat end cap, and press that in with your fingers... It will pop some RTV out like so..

CAM00938.jpg

Wipe off excess.

CAM00939.jpg

Done.

• Like 1

My welds look horrible. But, that metal is super thin. You gotta move quickly to prevent blow out.  Next time I'll know... This time I just ran across it right quick to patch the cracks. Good to go. installing tomorrow, maybe!

Thanks man.

I wasn't sure how to pull it apart. Went to FMF website but the video they had was for a different silencer...  Same idea tho.  This was my first silencer repack, ever. lol. I got it installed yesterday.  need to pull it out in the sunlight and give it a test fire. see how she does.

• Like 1