Sign in to follow this  

Is this a 2 stroke or a four stroke

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398107620.605506.jpg

Ok so my friend's friend is selling this bike but I can't get ahold of him and I want to know what kind of engine it is. I know it is a yz 250 but I don't know if it is a four stroke or two stroke. I also don't know the year of it either

And don't say it's a two stroke because I said yz 250 and not yz 250f all I know is that it's is a yamaha and it is 250

Yep 2stroke and 2004 or older cause its got a steel frame.

Based on the picture it looks like its in good shape. Hell the paint isn't even rubbed off by the foot peg. Someone recently restored it or it's hardly been ridden.

Yep 2stroke and 2004 or older cause its got a steel frame.

Based on the picture it looks like its in good shape. Hell the paint isn't even rubbed off by the foot peg. Someone recently restored it or it's hardly been ridden.

Is it worth $1500

It looks to be 2002-2004 yz 250 2 stroke. Looks to be in good shape but you need to look at it in person. Pictures can be deceptive, particularly in low light.

Kind of looks to me like the cover has been sand blasted and or painted so I have a feeling it has been restored, hence the lack of wear on the frame. I wouldn't purchase a bike that old without being able to start/ride it as well as possibly dump the oil to check for filings. A bike that age could have a lot of problems, if it is in good shape $1500 bucks is a good price but if it hasn't been looked after you are just throwing your money away.

My 2004 yz250 2 stroke looked good in the pics and ran good so I bought it... then I noticed a lot of engine noise... still don't know what it is, altho Im going to try something and just put it back together I guess.

Really look at it and listen to it

The bottom line is "if it has been reasonably well maintained" then yes, $1500 is a fair price. If you think about it, basket cases will bring $1000 so a working, running, ridable bike for $1500 is very fair.

And if its decent, it will sell fast. They are great bikes and people know it.

Edited by moleson10