Sign in to follow this  

Hope I didn't just make a bad choice. ..

My son has just started getting into mx. He's been riding with a pretty crappy michelin m12 and busted a tube yesterday. I have been researching tires and tubes and decided on the maxxcross it and figured I better go with a hd irc tube. Then after I placed my order I read some more about how heavy the maxxcross and hd tubes are. Will this give my son trouble since he's new to the track scene? Most of tracks around here seem to be pretty hard pack.

Weight shouldn't matter too much as long as the knobbies hook up well and it grips well.

That's all I worry about as far as tires go, unless they have one that mounts itself.

My son has just started getting into mx. He's been riding with a pretty crappy michelin m12 and busted a tube yesterday. I have been researching tires and tubes and decided on the maxxcross it and figured I better go with a hd irc tube. Then after I placed my order I read some more about how heavy the maxxcross and hd tubes are. Will this give my son trouble since he's new to the track scene? Most of tracks around here seem to be pretty hard pack.

You're only talking about 1/2 pound to a pound difference. Most people absolutely can't feel the difference.

• Like 1

You're only talking about 1/2 pound to a pound difference. Most people absolutely can't feel the difference.

Since he is new to riding he might not notice it. But a half pound of rotational weight is huge.

• Like 2

Since he is new to riding he might not notice it. But a half pound of rotational weight is huge.

Yes, it is huge. But I stand by what I said, the average person can't tell the difference. It if they do notice a difference that feeling goes away within five minutes of riding.

Hell most people can't even tune the clickers on their suspension correctly...

• Like 3

Well I'm trying to learn what I can about that too lol... Unfortunately back in the day we just jumped on and rode till gas ran out! I'm afraid I wasn't big on maintenance or tuning so I'm trying to teach him a lil better.

Your going to be better off with the heavy tubes , and have less flats. Thats what i use on my bikes , but then I'm an wood rider so its a must have.

Gonna sound crazy but i have an 05 and its on the original tubes. I bought it on the original tires and changed them over. When i took the tires off the tubes were old, but they held air fine and still do.... i ride with them fine lol, i think they're standard duty, just thought I'd be interesting to share

Holy crap ur getting ur money's worth out of them lol..... but u know what's gonna happen next time u ride now, right?? Haha

• Like 1

I bought the STI brand ( i believe ) Ultra heavy duty and can definitely tell a difference in weight my bike usually just sees trails and casual riding but has been around the track a few laps for shis and giggles. Like tractor tubes you could probably just air those up around the rim and nevermind the tire  :lol:

Well the first race with the new tire was interesting. . Went out for practice and track was pretty wet.. my son took off going through the gears and topped out somewhere around 9mph I think. U should have seen the what the hell dad look he gave me lol. I thought I pretty much ruined his day. Fortunately when track dried out it did hook up decent he said. He ended up with a nice 1- 1 in the beginner class so it was a great day. Definitely going to look for another mud tire tho. I liked the looks of the starcross and noticed alot of bikes running them