USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Why does the back tire still spin when in neutral on any bike?

So I was watching this video:

And I noticed, like I have many times before, the back wheel was spinning when the motor was revved. Obviously the bike is in N. You can see it isnt just spinning because someone really greased that axle right, its spinning because theres some tension going on the chain, which means the countershaft is spinning. Why is this?

It spins because the transmission shaft spins and even though it isnt in gear there is a small drag on the countershaft and this spins the sprocket and in turn wheel.

• Like 2

OK, so its like when your parents told you to sit still, you couldn't, could you?

Right, right.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 3

The clutch still transfers some movement from friction, but it's enough to make the discs slip when you're sitting on it. Try putting it into gear with no oil, even with the clutch lever all the way in, there's still contact in the clutch system and it will still want to move with you sitting on it.

And no, don't really try it.

• Like 1

When it's in neutral and the clutch is out, the gears are spinning. Oil is getting thrown from them on the counter gear and that makes it spin some.

All the gears are always meshed, but not selected by the shift forks while in neutral. Therefore they spin freely between the main and counter shafts. Friction, oil drag, causes a torque on the counter shaft causing it to spin.

So I was told a while back on here when your looking at a bike check to see if the back wheel spins in neutral. Why is this? Is it bad if I dosent spin? My bike has an oring chain so its gots some resistance and the back wheel dosent spin. should I be worried?

So I was told a while back on here when your looking at a bike check to see if the back wheel spins in neutral. Why is this? Is it bad if I dosent spin? My bike has an oring chain so its gots some resistance and the back wheel dosent spin. should I be worried?

Meaningless. Maybe it has a light oil like ATF in there and a stiff o-ring chain. Whoever said that was a dumb ass.

• Like 3

Its possessed!!!!

Run.

It's actually an illusion because the earth is spinning on it's axis.  Now turn the bike the other way and watch the wheel go the opposite direction.  It's like Geico can save you 15% in 15 minutes, hell, everyone know that! :lol::devil: 

• Like 2