Sign in to follow this  

Looking for DOT LED taillight

I am looking for suggestions for a DOT approved and stamped DRZ LED tail light conversion. Cops in my city are going on a rampage against non-DOT lights. If it doesn't have DOT you're getting a ticket, if it is DOT stamped you may still get a ticket and have to fight it in traffic court. I will keep stock signals btw.

So far my best solution is to custom fit a DOT R6 tail light. My only concern that it is 167mm wide, where as a Edge LED DRZ tail light for example is only 106mm wide.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

What city? And what local, city or state ordnance allows cops to enforce federal regulations after sale at the local level?  When a cop writes an equipment violation it has to violate some ordnance or law.  What does the ticket say?  Can't just say non-DOT lighting.  That in itself is not a violation. Are they truly writing tickets or just threats?  Maybe some friend of a friend supposedly got a ticket but nobody has actually ever seen the ticket.  Sounds like plastic gas tank BS all over again.

What city? And what local, city or state ordnance allows cops to enforce federal regulations after sale at the local level?  When a cop writes an equipment violation it has to violate some ordnance or law.  What does the ticket say?  Can't just say non-DOT lighting.  That in itself is not a violation. Are they truly writing tickets or just threats?  Maybe some friend of a friend supposedly got a ticket but nobody has actually ever seen the ticket.  Sounds like plastic gas tank BS all over again.

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. And yes I have seen these tickets myself. Our provincial Highway Traffic Act specifies that lights on vehicles must comply with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of Canada which specifies they must be DOT approved. 

To give you some idea of how anal they are about vehicle equipment regulations here, they went on a rampage ticketing people for not having operational windshield washers(also required by the HTA) if their washer fluid tanks were empty. They have since amended the HTA to include a clause allowing empty washer fluid tanks. The DOT lighting tickets are not BS. 

Glad I do not live under the Canadian thumb of the law.  A few yeas back I visited New Zealand.  They had regulations and inspection requirements that were, well, foreign to me and rather oppressive.  I did not intend to mean DOT lighting tickets were BS.  I guess you have to know the back story on plastic gas tanks to understand my meaning.  For many years the story went around that plastic gas tanks were illegal.  Never was such a law but people would get hassled over replacement plastic gas tanks.  True fact is there are regulations on fuel container integrity and spillage in an accident.  But nothing specific to material.  Whatever demonstrates compliance passes the requirements.  True, a good chance aftermarket tanks have never been tested for compliance or spillage, but it is not the material that is the issue.

For the time being we (US) are able to make our own choices on replacement products.  DOT apples at the manufacturers level of vehicles made or imported or sale for use on US roads. After sale,  state laws control equipment requirements.  In WA those regulations are to demonstrate a specific level of performance.  Of course DOT marked equipment does but so does some non-DOT equipment.

• Like 1