Sign in to follow this  

Can i reuse head gasket ?

I took my 2012 kx450f im for a rebuild at 50 hours got it back and it has a bad head gasket with ONLY 2 hrs Somce rebuild . You guys think its a gpod idea to reuse my old head gasket that was in the bike ? Before the rebuild i have it all in a box

Not on that bike. Maybe an old low performance air cooled bike with a copper head gasket, you can anneal and reuse those( Had a bike that blew base gaskets, would have it apart a few time a weekend with a folder full of base gaskets). But with bikes at the level they are today, no way would I reuse a head gasket. 

It could be the head bolts. They are designed to stretch. Some seem to stretch more then others, meaning they can't be reused. Put new bolts , and a new head gasket in, should solve the problem.

It could be the head bolts. They are designed to stretch. Some seem to stretch more then others, meaning they can't be reused. Put new bolts , and a new head gasket in, should solve the problem.

Perhaps the bolts weren't torqued up properly in the right sequence or as has been suggested have stretched. I had big problems on my overbored Gilera Nordwest with head gaskets. That used studs and nuts rather than bolts, but you could see the studs had stretched when compared against new ones.

I fitted new studs and a new gasket and then followed the Italian big bore kit suppliers instructions to the letter to only run it for 2 minutes at idle before re-torqueing the head (after cooling down).

Hopefully the head joint face hasn't warped but worth checking it as best you can before re-assembly. A sheet of thick plate glass and some dirty oil works reasonably well if you haven't got access to a surface plate and engineer's blue.

Mine still gave problems but that was mainly because the kit left such a narrow joint round the coolant passages in the big bore cylinder.

Any stretch to yield bolt that needs replacing will undoubtedly be spelled out in the service manual.

I wouldn't re use a head gasket on anything... From a lawn mower to a bull dozer. No way in he!!

The bolts that are "stretching " the

M6 2 little guys or the 4 big m10 head bolts ?

so is it the 2 little ones then ?

or the 4 big ones

thanks guys

The 4 big studs. The 2 little ones do very little work.

Do you ride much low speed stuff and get the engine real hot? If you do then warp is a problem on this bike, so sanding the head surface flat is a good idea. Quick and easy job.

The 4 big studs. The 2 little ones do very little work.

Do you ride much low speed stuff and get the engine real hot? If you do then warp is a problem on this bike, so sanding the head surface flat is a good idea. Quick and easy job.

thank you

cheers mate

Wtf? This is a joke right? Not tryna be a dick but you don't re-use any gasket ever! New gasket on anything always! Think about it. It's been compressed for how long? You can only compress somethin so much.... New gaskets every time on everything

Haha well he must have a lot of money. Either way he's dumb don't re use any gasket. Why would you chance blowing your motor instead of paying $40 for a dam gasket lol that is retarded