Sign in to follow this  

Wow! Missed my street tires..

Have been running the shinko 244's for the last 800 miles and decided since its summer I probably won't be doing much off-road, so I put the 208's back on and gained a ton of power! Corners better! Brakes better! Revs out better! Quieter! I'm gonna have trouble goin back to those 244's.. I could barely pull the front wheel off the ground in second with out clutch and I actually got up in 4th without clutch! Can't believe how heavy those shinko's were. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398113719.391896.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398113755.239320.jpg

• Like 2

Thats good to know,  ive never tried the SM wheels with street tires,  always the 244's,  i have the brand new 2014 dunlops that come on the SM,  im actually really looking forward to trying the bike with the street tires.

• Like 4

I hear ya. I lost probably 20-25 km/h off my top speed when I put on my shinko 700's on.

But I've got a brand new set of distanzia's sitting in the garage.

Too much tread left on the shinko's to warrant the swap and too much gravel on the roads.

its that time of the season to carve those corners with street rubber. you are in lake county right? some of the best sm roads around if you ask me. i have a set of shinko 705's that i switch back and forth on for when I'm craving a little fire road or two. but yes like you if felt like you where pulling a trailer behind you. it completely changed the feel and power to the SM. 

• Like 1

Are the Dunlop sportmax (OEM tires on the 2014) good?  how many miles should one expect to get from em?

the dunflop 208's are horrible tires. no grip, not predictable in any way and take for ever to warm up. if i were to buy a new SM i would literally order new tires and pay to get them spooned on before i drive off the lot. i think i got a couple thousand miles out of mine and thats just because i was too cheap to buy new ones at the time

Edited by 707drz

the dunflop 208's are horrible tires. no grip, not predictable in any way and take for ever to warm up. if i were to buy a new SM i would literally order new tires and pay to get them spooned on before i drive off the lot. i think i got a couple thousand miles out of mine and thats just because i was too cheap to buy new ones at the time

Really??  Damn...  sucks hearing that,  just went and checked,  says Dunlop sportmax D208...  i was thinking these were the shit,  or at least very decent.

They are brand new,  would you suggest maybe putting em on cl and getting something else?  how much should i ask for them?

Really??  Damn...  sucks hearing that,  just went and checked,  says Dunlop sportmax D208...  i was thinking these were the shit,  or at least very decent.

They are brand new,  would you suggest maybe putting em on cl and getting something else?  how much should i ask for them?

just ask around, pretty bad tire. it's a night and day experience between the OEM 208's and everything else.  just not sure why they still use them and don't just go to the Battlax bt016's. ig they are new i have no doubt you can make a little cash on them to the right buyer. they are pretty expensive brand new, IIRC they are most expensive then avons. but lookers on CL are looking for a deal....maybe $120

• Like 1

Thats good to know, ive never tried the SM wheels with street tires, always the 244's, i have the brand new 2014 dunlops that come on the SM, im actually really looking forward to trying the bike with the street tires.

you will be pleasantly surprised! Those 244's are HEAVY

just ask around, pretty bad tire. it's a night and day experience between the OEM 208's and everything else. just not sure why they still use them and don't just go to the Battlax bt016's. ig they are new i have no doubt you can make a little cash on them to the right buyer. they are pretty expensive brand new, IIRC they are most expensive then avons. but lookers on CL are looking for a deal....maybe $120

I was thinking these were the cats meow! I thought dunlops were a good tire

just ask around, pretty bad tire. it's a night and day experience between the OEM 208's and everything else. just not sure why they still use them and don't just go to the Battlax bt016's. ig they are new i have no doubt you can make a little cash on them to the right buyer. they are pretty expensive brand new, IIRC they are most expensive then avons. but lookers on CL are looking for a deal....maybe $120

i would run them if I was you! If you don't know better you won't know the difference unless your a knee dragger! They feel like great tires to me but like I said there the only street tires I've tried

I could barely pull the front wheel off the ground in second with out clutch and I actually got up in 4th without clutch! 

:p  :lol:  :p  :lol:  :p  :lol:  :p  :lol:

hmm im hearing 2 different stories..

like last week you told me, that you could easily get it up in 2nd without clutch..

im going to toss on my streets tires next weekend..

me and a few sm are going to watch supermotoUSA round 2 at infineon..we want to see the unlimited pro class :ride:  may 3rd

Edited by 707LAKE

:p:lol::p:lol::p:lol::p:lol:

hmm im hearing 2 different stories..

like last week you told me, that you could easily get it up in 2nd without clutch..

im going to toss on my streets tires next weekend..

me and a few sm are going to watch supermotoUSA round 2 at infineon..we want to see the unlimited pro class :ride: may 3rd

I geared it up after that cuz it was zingin on the freeway! Good memory! lol

Do they ever do like practice days for us middle class folks? I would make the trek down for that!

I really want to go to Laguna Seca, haul my 350z and SM down and gave a blast for a weekend. I know thunder hill in woodland charges a crap ton for practice day. I would pay good money to run on a legit track though!

after having the Diablo Rosso II's practically save my life last weekend, if you are looking for a pure street tire, you should really consider them!  awesome tire for the price ron.  but, they are DEFINITELY 100% street...lol.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the stock tire way more than the Shinko 700's.

This is my first season of riding and I could lean out the 700's to edge of the tread and back, consistently.

I really hate the square shinko's. Way better for dirt and gravel than a street tire but my goodness, the shinko stink when you wanna learn and carve.

Another nail in the coffin for the shinko tires is the weight.

The DRZ isn't a speed demon by any stretch but the shinko's were a pretty big let down when I took her out on the highway (daily commute).

I've got some pretty high hopes for the avon distanzia's sitting in the garage.

They better be as sticky and awesome as everyone makes them out to be.

Now I really want to go swap my tires and stop making excuses for running the shinko's.

Do they ever do like practice days for us middle class folks? I would make the trek down for that!

I really want to go to Laguna Seca, haul my 350z and SM down and gave a blast for a weekend. I know thunder hill in woodland charges a crap ton for practice day. I would pay good money to run on a legit track though!

oh yeah they have plenty of days to go ..alot of open class days..

this is just a tournament day on  may3rd, with all sorts of classes.. im going to see the unlimited pro class..

actaully april 30-may 4th is sonoma fest, a 5 day festival for motorcycles.. go sat, there be doing the sm stuff on the kart track, and simultaneously they will be doing superbike pro on infineon track

info on sonoma fest

http://www.racesonoma.com/tickets/3js_motorcycle_days/sonomafest-features-five-days-motorcycle-action-sonoma-raceway.html

schedule for track days at kart track (located at infineon raceway, prices is cheap like 20-60$ depending on how long you want to be on track and 20 is for like 2 hours upto 60 for full day...way worth it)

https://simracewaydrivingschool.com/events/

btw i tried today, with shinko244,full 4gal tank,fcr slant,stock gears,cams, i can still clutch it up in 3rd..+me @250lbs geared up lol

Edited by 707LAKE

When switching from the 244's to the stock 208's,  did the seat height drop for you?  does the bike really feel a bit lighter?

I was thinking these were the cats meow! I thought dunlops were a good tire

i would run them if I was you! If you don't know better you won't know the difference unless your a knee dragger! They feel like great tires to me but like I said there the only street tires I've tried

dunlop does make good tires, these just happen to be one of those good tires. you don't have to be a "knee dragger" to understand that these tires are what the stock death wings are to the S model.

they will eat miles up for you but if you are anything more that a commuter you'll soon find out that they are unpredictable warmed up or not. but who knows..it's been 7 years since i have ridden a dry with the 208's, they could have gotten a bit better

When switching from the 244's to the stock 208's,  did the seat height drop for you?  does the bike really feel a bit lighter?

i know when i switch back and forth from the shinko 705's to my street trim its a completely different bike. and i know that the 705's are just as heavier if not more than the 244's...

• Like 1

Spoon on the 208s and wear'em out.  Done spent the money, might as well get something in return.  Í'll be honest, most talented folks can run 7 to 8/10's of the bike's potential.  Those that are 9 and 10/10's are sponsored.

• Like 2