Sign in to follow this  

Bouncing really high upon flat landings

I know you people out there can help me out...you always do

As a test case I jumped my dirt bike on a very low risk double that is about 40 ft from take off to landing.  The kicker is only about 3ft high above the table top and the top of the landing ramp is about 1 ft below the top of the kicker.  When I come up short the ground is only barely rising upwards.  The highest point of air can't be more than 5ft.  Yet, when I land I am easily bouncing 2ft in the air.  I am not embellishing at all...I am bouncing completely over the landing area out into the flats then I bounce again probably 1ft up and shoot out and beyond the track and into the weeds before I can stop.  It doesn't hurt terribly upon landing but the jolt caused by the rebound is very uncomfortable and scary.  I am taking off about half throttle, landing with the throttle off, and my bike is 510cc 2-stroke to give you an idea of the speed I am carrying.

My fork compression is all the way up as well as my rear suspension.  The rebound on the front forks is turned all the way to the right so that the rebound damping is as slow as possible.  The rear suspension rebound damping is about half way through the adjustments.  The back doesn't bounce around in the whoops and doesn't kick up into my butt.

To make matters even more complicated my suspension has been tricked out by Hitchcock Industries in Denver.  The bike is a 2014 Husaberg 501FE...the same as a KTM 500exc.  The suspension is in perfect working order.  Yet I do want my front forks much stiffer and this would be the 3rd request to Neal Hitchcock to make them stiffer.  My rear is surely not stiff enough either but I am afraid stiffer means more bounce.

I told Neal I wanted to be able to drop off a 10ft cliff onto flats and not crush myself and don't spare any expense Neil.  I'm guessing that Neal never watched Moto 5 when Taylor dropped that 30 ft cliff onto slick rock.

This is the data I have from Hitchcock Industries (don't ask me what this means):

Set for 175lb rider per my request... and I weigh 180lbs. 

Fork spring 46N, oil 88MM (A)  

Shock - spring 78-88   Sag 33-35

My request was:...make smooth in braking bumps and yet very hard to bottom out.

What do I do?

• Put heavier weight oil in the suspension?
  • More oil in the suspension?
  • Slow the rebound to the max possible?
  • Have a different professional review my suspension and trick it out...then send Neal Hitchcock the bill?

A video of what's going on would be great. The rebound shouldn't need to be in all the way with a revalve, should be right around 9-14 from full hard.... video would be helpful.

I'm a newb, but just a thought... Are you landing on both wheels at the same time? I have heard this type of landing will cause a Bounce, as opposed to landing front/rear wheel first.

NEVER turn reb all the way in....why would do that???

Set fork reb to 16-17 out.

Shock reb. Is to fast with stock spring....and even faster with 78-88 spring....

Sounds like you need to get with your tuner one on one....

Thumper...i did consider the landing both wheels at same time issue. I hit the throttle in the air and landed rear tire first. No bounce but the front slammed down painfully. Good thought though. I am bummed out the spring may be too stiff. Also mentioned was to not turn rebound all the way in...the reason i am considering this is because I have seen big hits go wrong, and the rider lands without a bounce.

Well i got the chance to try bike out yesterday after bumping the oil weight from 5 to 20. This made an incredible difference. My landings are very soft now and if i drop the front in between a whoop i still have an inch left of travel. The rebound turned to the slowest setting did suck. Caused a lot of chatter when cruising off the side of the trail/turning around. Set it midway between clicks on the front and back and it solves everything for all different types of riding

I've never heard of a 20wt oil working on a modern fork , live and learn everyday

Wow. The valving must be really soft and/or a LOT of bleed. But if it works...??