Sign in to follow this  

Hot cams valve adjustment

So OEM spec recommends

Intake 0.10mm to 0.20 mm

Exhaust 0.20mm to 0.30

And hot cams gives no range just a number to shoot for:

Hotcams intake 0.15mm

Hotcams exhaust 0.20mm

Should I just shoot for the Hotcams number? I am curious what the experts might recommend if they were going for reliability and engine longevity versus out right performance?

Just looking for opinions from those that have gone before me

Thanks

Shoot for Hot Cams clearances. But obviously some tolerance is needed and you will not hit it right on.

IN 0.15 to 0.20  EX 0.20 to 0.25  But really if you are in the OEM tolerance, it will not be a problem.

Ditto ^, and some people like them on the tighter side of the allowable limits, claiming there's better contact at the start and finish of the valve action, and less of a slamming effect.

All cams have clearance ramps to reduce the "slam" when the clearance is taken up.  Part of the cam design and the reason why durations are measured at some lift point, commonly 1mm or .040".  Min clearance allows greatest lift and least amount of cooling time on the seat.  Max clearance reduces lift and allows more seat time for cooling.  But frankly we are talking absolutes not reality.  If you were trying to do some specialized tuning with clearances maybe using .002" (0.05mm) or .020" clearance 0.50mm), then clearance rams and cooling time and resulting lifts might become important.