Sign in to follow this  

Rear brake drag?

My wife was behind me today and kept telling me she was hearing something like a wizzing noise. Thought she was hearing the chain.....kind of strange since she can hear it over my mrd ssw.

Anyways I get home and I push the bike in and I can hear something faintly.....hard to say if its the chain or rear brake by myself.

Felt both the rotors and the front was cool to the touch. Rear was pretty damn hot....not red hot but significantly hotter than the front. Wasnt doing any hard breaking the whole way home.

Pads look great all the way around. 5k miles on the 2013 sm.

Is this common on the Drz? Known fixes?

Thanks

A little brake drag is normal.  Try riding the motorcycle several miles without using the rear brake at all. Stop using only the front brake.  Then feel the rear disk.  Should be cold or no more than comfortably warm to the touch.

put bike on side stand and pull it over til the rear wheel is off the ground. Balance it there and have your wife spin the rear wheel and see if you get a full rotation or more out of it. Do it again after riding with it hot and see the change.

Had the rear wheel out recently or had a new tyre fitted..???....often the rotor can get an "accidental bump " and put a slight warp in it....

Raise the rear wheel off the ground and do some rotations, watch for any sideways movement of the rotor where it passes the brake pads... 

If it has a warp , you may feel some "pulsing" effect on brake application when riding...

Edited by Craigo 485sm

a few things can cause this:

air/water in the line, which expands, and causes the pads to grip the rotor instead of ride close to it, causing heat.

misaligned or very worn pads that wear unevenly, and eventually begin to drag constantly, causing heat. 

misaligned axle adjusters, which cause dragging, and heat.