Sign in to follow this  

XR650L vs DR650SE in Baja

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448912

I was always wondering how an XR650L compares to a DR650 if you're going to ride a lot of dirt.  The above link is to the adventures of a guy from San Francisco that I sold the 1994 XR650L to last fall.  He rode that bike and got a DR650 for his friend to ride.  Other than tire issues, the XR ran great the whole trip.  The DR had multiple problems, some of them major.

I can't find the posts back in September or October where we were discussing this particular XR.  It would occasionally misfire at idle and the new owner discussed things he was trying in addition to what I had looked into.

Anyway, if you've considered doing something like a multi-week trip to Baja, you might find the story interesting.

I've rode and worked on both and that is pretty much how it is.

If a person wants a bike for mostly pavement and gravel roads, the DR is a good choice and better in a lot of ways when compared to the XR650L. The DR650 is the best deal going for a new 650 dual purpose bike that can take a rider a lot of places in relative comfort for little money and with no major issues.

The XR650L is a world of difference off road or even for high speed gravel road riding with washboard and jumps. The XRL weighs less (stock fuel tank) and has the air filter and battery accessible without tools and quickly. Obviously the suspension is the big difference and it's adjustable.

Anyone can throw $$ at either bike to improve things, but at a cost to riding time and lost $$ during resale. Buy and ride; the XRL is the one for off-road riding.

The DR650, KLR650 and XR650L all have well known and distinct advantages for each of their niches and each one does fill a different niche. They are all highly touted bikes and any bike that is supposed to be a replacement is going to have big shoes to fill.